icon

hooking up scanner for alarm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bowzer 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2003 at 11:56 PM / IP Logged  
what kind of diode? i dont know anything about diodes... install it just as "mobiletoys2002" has explained?
ber
enforcerviper 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2003 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  

who makes your scanner?  The CLA scanner I had used three wires.  Red, Black and Yellow.  Red was 12V+, Black was ground, and Yellow gets ground when alarm is activated. (hookup to your starter kill wire, usually orange).

Now when the alarm is off, (yellow wire does not get ground) all five L.E.D's on the scanner stay solid blue.  When I turn on the alarm, I can cycle through the different patterns as well as OFF.

I would have kept the scanner hooked up except it does not turn off when I'm driving, thus illegal in ontario.

I ended up buying a Varad scanner, and using the EXACT same wiring hookup, the scanner turns off when the alarm is disarmed.  I believe it's a stupid design of the cheap CLA scanner.

Anthony1 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2003 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  
same prob, i had with my scanner(CLA)
bowzer 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2003 at 7:35 PM / IP Logged  
mine is a "Lite Scan" made by "Lite Glo" ... its supposed to be pretty decent, it works the same way the varad does from what i know...
ber
Qveon 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2003 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  
bowzer wrote:
what kind of diode? i dont know anything about diodes... install it just as "mobiletoys2002" has explained?
=< 1 watt
Anthony1 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2003 at 5:54 AM / IP Logged  
Yah, just the way he said.  This will allow only the signal to travel one way
mobile_chick 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2003 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  
you cut the orange wire or armed out wire and place a diode in line with the stripe facing the alarm unit now take the wire off the scanner usually yellow and put it on the side of the diode with the stripe now your problem is fixed.
The reason that the scanner turns on when the car is off is because teh ignition rests at ground when your car is not running and this activates the scanner or led whatever.so the diode will block that ground and it will now only activate when the alarm is armed good luck.
mobile_chick 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2003 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  
use a 1 amp diode like a in4004 diode will be fine you can get these at radio shack.any 1 amp diode should do .
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic