icon

Viper 5901 Remote Start Error, 8 Flashes

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ladiesman69 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2009 at 8:55 AM / IP Logged  
Hello... the remote start on my Viper 5901 works perfectly until today.
All other functions such as locking/unlocking etc... works fine but it just won't start.
When the remote start function is activated, the 2-way remote emits an error tone followed by 8 flashes of the parking lights.
I read somewhere that 8 flashes represent: Neutral safety wire has no ground or the neutral safety.
What can I do about it? this problem is bothering me quite abit...
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2009 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  

Maybe get a little more specific...What kind of car...How long has remote start worked...were you doing anything before it stopped working IE...DEAD BATTERY...ETC

LED FLASHES SHUTDOWN MODE

One- Timed out

Two- Over-rev shutdown

Three- Low or no RPM

Four -Transmitter shutdown (or optional push-button)

Six -(-) Shutdown (H3/4 GRAY) or (+) Shutdown (H3/3 BROWN)

Seven- (-) Neutral safety shutdown (H3/1 BLACK/ WHITE)

Eight- Wait-to-start timed out

M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
proximity 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2009 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  
Eight flashes is the neutral safety switch. It needs constant ground for the remote start to work. It's the BLACK/ white wire on the small 5 pin connector. Either ground it or connect it to your cars neutral safety switch (if there is one).
Kcautosound 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2009 at 3:04 AM / IP Logged  
Just this Sunday I installed a 5901 for a guy. He drove here to Kansas City from Texas for a Trailblazer SS meet at our local drag strip. I installed his unit along with backup battery, tilt sensor, glass break sensor and motion sensor. All alarm functions and everything works perfect.
I go to remote start the unit and start getting the 8 flashes like you for the neutral safety wire. Man I killed nearly an hour and a half trying to figure this out. I got there early so that I could knock out the alarm and make it to church, didn't happen. I originally had the wire tied into the ground of the system like I always do. No luck. Then I grounded the wire directly to metal ground, no luck. I even went as far as testing with my meter to see if somehow the crimp in the five pin harness didn't quite crimp down on the wire. (had this happend on a Valet keyless unit, unlock wire had the factory crimped on connector crimped around the insulation and not the unlock wire itself inside the plug-in connector)
I finally came down to me contacting a donut hole VIPER tech to hear him say "we've had a few like that" Very upsetting to my customer considering he was not local and would have to take care of this on his end back in Texas. He did pay me for my install after explaining to him that my install was perfect, it was the brain that was bad. Hopefully he can get the warranty taken care of through Amazon.com and simply swap the brain out and step through the programming.
ladiesman69 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2009 at 3:38 AM / IP Logged  
tommy... wrote:

Maybe get a little more specific...What kind of car...How long has remote start worked...were you doing anything before it stopped working IE...DEAD BATTERY...ETC

LED FLASHES SHUTDOWN MODE

One- Timed out

Two- Over-rev shutdown

Three- Low or no RPM

Four -Transmitter shutdown (or optional push-button)

Six -(-) Shutdown (H3/4 GRAY) or (+) Shutdown (H3/3 BROWN)

Seven- (-) Neutral safety shutdown (H3/1 BLACK/ WHITE)

Eight- Wait-to-start timed out

no changes were made... no dead battery etc... but i did send in my car for routine maintenance and was told they removed the timing belt etc... but did not touch any of the electronics component.

remote start has been working close to 3 months . it is a subaru manual car, but configured as auto to skip the shutdown procedure that is required by remote start to work. so far there is no problem until few days ago.

ladiesman69 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2009 at 3:39 AM / IP Logged  

proximity wrote:
Eight flashes is the neutral safety switch. It needs constant ground for the remote start to work. It's the BLACK/ white wire on the small 5 pin connector. Either ground it or connect it to your cars neutral safety switch (if there is one).

it is grounded... my technician tested with his grounding kits. it just don't start

ladiesman69 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2009 at 3:41 AM / IP Logged  

Kcautosound wrote:
Just this Sunday I installed a 5901 for a guy. He drove here to Kansas City from Texas for a Trailblazer SS meet at our local drag strip. I installed his unit along with backup battery, tilt sensor, glass break sensor and motion sensor. All alarm functions and everything works perfect.
I go to remote start the unit and start getting the 8 flashes like you for the neutral safety wire. Man I killed nearly an hour and a half trying to figure this out. I got there early so that I could knock out the alarm and make it to church, didn't happen. I originally had the wire tied into the ground of the system like I always do. No luck. Then I grounded the wire directly to metal ground, no luck. I even went as far as testing with my meter to see if somehow the crimp in the five pin harness didn't quite crimp down on the wire. (had this happend on a Valet keyless unit, unlock wire had the factory crimped on connector crimped around the insulation and not the unlock wire itself inside the plug-in connector)
I finally came down to me contacting a donut hole VIPER tech to hear him say "we've had a few like that" Very upsetting to my customer considering he was not local and would have to take care of this on his end back in Texas. He did pay me for my install after explaining to him that my install was perfect, it was the brain that was bad. Hopefully he can get the warranty taken care of through Amazon.com and simply swap the brain out and step through the programming.

sounds like describing the same problem as mine....

Kcautosound 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2009 at 3:51 AM / IP Logged  
First time with this problem on these units. I am not an authorized Viper dealer however I am for Python and I install the 991/5702P units quite a bit and they are the same brain.
ladiesman69 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2009 at 2:07 AM / IP Logged  
by the way, does an automatic configuration needs to connect to the neutral safety switch?
or is the neutral safety switch only needed for manual transmission cars?
how does it look like anyway?
Kcautosound 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2009 at 2:17 AM / IP Logged  
Well I solved the problem with the VIPER. I was installing a Python 991 which is the same install. When I zip tied the brain and harnesses up I experienced the same error. I came to realize that when tying up the brain I had pulled the two pin harness out that the toggle switch goes to. I found a old programming button to a system that had the same plug on the end of it. I cut the wires and tied them together and plugged the harness into the VIPER brain. FIXED!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic