icon

engine noise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
snhtown 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2009 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  

hey all, i have a 07 magnum. alpine type x mids/highs and a kicker zx300.1 amp. and i am getting engine whine. it dosent change when i accelerate. i tried new rca's. the rca's are grounded on the radio. when i pluged my ipod in the noise is gone though. im thinking it is the head unit. but i hooked up my zapco amp and there is no noise at all. does anyone know what it mihgt be?

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 25, 2009 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  
Does the noise change if you place your hand on the heat sink of the amplifier?   Is the amp connected to the Mids/Highs or to a subwoofer?
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2009 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  
why do you have your mids hooked up to a mono amp? also, are you using the factory radio or aftermarket? you should list everything you have in your system and what it connects to, it would help you get a better answer. my first thought is that the internal fuse inside your kicker amp that is blown and that would cause your noise problem, but then you say it goes away when you use the ipod and that points more toward the radio being the problem. also do you have the infinity/premium system in your car? if so, the factory amp might not be bypasses correctly.
i am an idiot 
Posted: May 25, 2009 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  
If the fuse in the amp is blown, it will not make any noise with the I-Pod.  I am thinking that the fuse is blown too.  If it is blown, it will probably make more noise when he touches the heat sink of the amp. 
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2009 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
If the fuse in the amp is blown, it will not make any noise with the I-Pod.  I am thinking that the fuse is blown too.  If it is blown, it will probably make more noise when he touches the heat sink of the amp. 
just curious, why would it not make noise with the ipod if the fuse is blown in the amp? lower output voltage of the ipod as opposed to normal radio of CD?
i am an idiot 
Posted: May 25, 2009 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  

The noise will not happen if the source is not connected to the charging system of the vehicle.  It is essentially a ground loop, with the I-Pod there is no ground reference to the vehicle. 

I am guessing he did not have the I-Pod connected to any kidn of charging device.

snhtown 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2009 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  

thank you for your help so far. i thought it was the radio so i replaced it. since money is low i replaced it with the original car dodge radio and hooked up rca converters. the noise is still there.  i have the converter grounded to what ever the ground wire is supposed to be for the car.  blk/grn.  maybe this is the wrong ground?

idiot-what do you mean by the charging system? if the fuse in the amp is blown this will happen? or do you think it is comming from the charging system of the car without having anything to do with the amp?

after i replaced the radio i was getting the noise from both my sub (eclispe amp) and my mids/highs amp (kicker). i also tried my zapco amp and there is now noise from that also.  now when i have the car on, but i do not have the engine running there is no noise at all.  only when i turn the engine on is there noise.  also when i turn the car on, the amps will make a kind of loud thud. i know sometimes this is normal but it is a little to loud and i do not trust this noise at all.     i ran new rca's directly from the radio to the back of the car to avoid it crossing power wires. i made a new remote wire. before i had it ran from the back of the radio from the power wire and i ran it though a thoggle switch, this worked fine before i had this problem and there was no noise at turn on, instead it was very quiet.   last night i ran the remote from a fuse box in back. all i did was stick the wire in the fuse hole and stuck the fuse back in. the wire was succure and did not moved at all when i tried pulling it or moving it. here is the page of where i got the idea from.

http://www.mydodgemagnum.com/index.php?/adding_low_end.htm

so i am thinking it might be comming from the ground somehow???? man i dont know anymore.  the ground wire is going stright to the battery. to the amp. however, again before i had this problem, i had it ran this way and i havent done anything to this connection since i first ran it. so now i am confused all over again.

tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2009 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  
Did you touch the heatsink...Did noise get worse...? Was the ipod hooked up to a charger in ther car...? You said you just used a fuse for Remote...Did you use the dead side of fuse slot...? Meaning when you check for voltage...pull the fuse out and check to see which pin/slot in fuse box does not have power and use that slot for remote...That way if the fuse does blow...It will dis-connect power from the add-on source also...It appears they THINK it is a fuse inside amp...! Might want to explore more into that...Instead of re-wiring 5,000 times
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
soundnsecurity 
Posted: May 31, 2009 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  
try this, unhook the ground wire for the rca converter that you had hooked to the BLACK/ green wire and hook that wire to the bare metal of the car not to another wire.
what WAS the head unit that you were using? you never told us anything about it. brand and model number, please.
if you say that the noise got worse when you switched back to the factory radio then that points to the problem not being the radio even more than before. put your old head unit back in and see if it gets better, and when you re-install it dont use the factory ground to ground the radio, screw your ground to bare metal with a ring terminal. extend the wire if you have to. get rid of that hi/lo converter.
now, the problem with your amp that we mentioned probably happened when you installed it. that little internal fuse that is probably blown is for the RCA connections and it gets blown when you lose ground to the amp while the 12v+ and the rca's are still connected. the voltage from the 12v wire still wants to find a ground so it tries to go through the RCA's ground and blows the little fuse and the amp starts making noise. thats why they tell you to take the main battery fuse out before you install it or work on it.
the problem is that when this happens and you just leave it alone it can start to mess with your other equipment, mainly the HU. so this might be why you are starting to get new noises.
THE FIX?
unhook the wires from all of your installed amps and take the main fuses out FIRST
reinstall your old radio like it was before except try using a new ground straight to bare metal and scrape off any paint if there is any.
once your radio is completely wired up and turns on you can hook the amp power and ground back up and ground your amp(s) to bare sheet metal with no paint in the way and screw it tight. MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT IS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF WHATEVER YOU SCREW THE GROUND TO. YOU DONT WANT A SCREW IN YOUR GAS TANK.
last, plug your rca's back into the amp and re connect your speaker wires if you unhooked those too. turn it on to see if you still get noise and let us know
i am an idiot 
Posted: May 31, 2009 at 2:23 PM / IP Logged  
The charging system info was answering SoundNSecurity's question.  It was about your I-Pod.  When you were using the I-Pod. was it connected to the car, or just to the amp via the Headphone Jack?
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic