icon

engine noise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
snhtown 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2009 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  

i only had the headphones for the ipod connected to the amp. the ipod was not connected to a charger in the  car.

when i touch the heat sink of the amp the noise did not change.

the radio is a pioneer DEH P760MP

honestly im not sure what yall mean by the fuse inside of the amp.  this is happening with three diffrent amps. thats why i am not sure about  the internal fuse. and why did it not happen when i used the ipod?  im thinking maybe the ground on the radio is bad? if it is will i get noise though the factory speakers as well? im going to try messing with the ground wire and ill let you know what i find

thanks all so far

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 01, 2009 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  
In one of your earlier posts, you said the RCA cables are grounded to the radio.  Did you check this with a meter, or is there an actual wire connected to the RCA cable and is grounded to the radio?
snhtown 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2009 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  

a while back i had the same problem and i think it was you who actauly recomended to ground the rca's.  i have a wire soldered to the tip of each rca and ran though a fuse and screwed to the radio. i replaced the fuses and that did not work.

i couldnt find a ground by the radio so i ran a ground from the batery. still noise.

im going to disconnect everything again and do each thing one at a time and take it from there.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 01, 2009 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
you may have created a ground loop if you have all 6 of the cables grounded.  Does your radio have all 6 jacks mounted to the back of the deck, or are there 4 on the radio and another set on a few inches of cable?  If all 6 mounted on deck, remove all but 1 fuse.  If 4 and 2, leave one fuse on the 4 and one on the 2.
snhtown 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2009 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  
i only had the "front" rca's grounded. the sub rca's are not grounded. i never had any problems with my subs prior to this. the radio has a sub, front and rear rca plugs but i am currently using the front and sub outputs. i just tried the rear outputs on the radio and there is still noise.
snhtown 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2009 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
the radio has 2 mounted, the frnt and subs and a 3rd for the rear on a few inches of cable. since i only have 1 set of rca's grounded i should take one fuse out? and leave one in? for example the RED / right rca is fused while the WHITE/ left rca does not have a fuse?
snhtown 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2009 at 9:36 PM / IP Logged  
ok, this is weird now. i pluged my ipod to the amp though the headphone jack of the ipod with rca's. there is no music. but when i am holding the ipod and touch metal on the car the music can be heard on the speakers. could this be a result of the problem? im thinking this is all related somehow and there is something wrong with the ground in the car somehow. maybe an electrical problem that was un discovered?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2009 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
Where, PRECISELY are the RCA's run in the car, do they run near any ECUs or pumps? The fuel pump is my first guess.
I say this because in the OP, he states the noise doesn't change pitch with engine RPMs. It can't be alternator noise, it would change pitch. It has to be something else in the car - a motor, or possibly a module somewhere...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
snhtown 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2009 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst- i have my rca's running on the passanger side hump, the middle thing that sticks up. right down the middle of the car to the amps. i dont think they are crossing any wires that carry current. i have the remote comming from the back and the power and ground from the battery in the back also. the only wires running from the front now are the rca's. to eliminate this as a problem i have some rca's that i am using for this problem and i do not have it ran, just going from the radio over the seats to the amp, hard to describe but im sure you know what i mean.

i just noticed that if i touch the outside of the radio with the tip of the rca it makes the whinning noise noise. if i plug the rca in, there is whinning noise. when i unplug the rca there is no noise.

i read somewhere that these dodges have a problem with creating noises. could this be the case here? im not sure because i did have this current set up running in the car for a few good months without any problems. can we rule out the amps? if the ipod didnt have any noises then its comming from the source (the radio).

im sorry for being so anoying but alternator whine is just so annoying and i just can not pin point the source.

snhtown 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2009 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  

sorry for so many post but im trying diffrent things and sharing them with you, im hoping something i do someone might have tried and can relate with me.

so now i have a wire hooked up to the negative of the battery that i am using as a ground. it is an old remote wire i used, 16guage?.  i took that wire and touch the outside of the radio radomley at differnt places, would this in a way "ground" the radio? while touching the wire on the radio i took the rcas and pluged them in, there is still noise, i touched the outside of the radio witht he rcas as i described in the last post, still noise.  also i touched this "ground"  wire to the tip of the rca, as if i grounded the rca like idiot described to me in the past and when the two make contact i am hearing a little poping sound comming from the speakers. i remember when i used to work at a shop this was one way to test speakers was to take a battery and tap the speaker terminal with it to know what wires are what.  so i am now thinking some wire or wires somewhere in the car might be crossed?

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic