icon

engine noise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
snhtown 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2009 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  

another ipod "discovery". you know on a ipod one side is chrom and the other is plastic? if the ipod is pluged in the amp the music is very low, hardly noticable. if i am holding it on the chrom side and i touch the heat sink of the amp the music gets very loud. if i am holding the plastic side of the ipod the music does not change.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2009 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  
The ground traces on the inside of the amp is fried. When you touch the amp and the iPod, your body becomes the "shield" of the RCA, completing the circuit back to the amp.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2009 at 3:49 AM / IP Logged  
My buddy has the 05 RAM 1500 HEMI, we installed brand new Memphis M-class equipment. We had that noise even after eliminating ever single possible reason it exists. I broke down and added a noise filter. I hate to go there but it proved to be the only way.
This is what I do for FUN!
snhtown 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2009 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
so all three amps are ruined?  if this is the case what do i do?
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2009 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  
snhtown wrote:
ok, this is weird now. i pluged my ipod to the amp though the headphone jack of the ipod with rca's. there is no music. but when i am holding the ipod and touch metal on the car the music can be heard on the speakers. could this be a result of the problem? im thinking this is all related somehow and there is something wrong with the ground in the car somehow. maybe an electrical problem that was un discovered?
you used a headphone jack to RCA adapter straight to the amp with nothing in between?
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2009 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
The ground traces on the inside of the amp is fried. When you touch the amp and the iPod, your body becomes the "shield" of the RCA, completing the circuit back to the amp.
nevermind my last post because this was what i was getting at.
the problem probably isnt that hard to repair if you bring it to someone who can work on amps. its probably just a matter of soldering in a wire jumper to both ends of the burnt traces inside your amp.
snhtown 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2009 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  

soundnsecurity wrote:
haemphyst wrote:
nevermind my last post because this was what i was getting at.
the problem probably isnt that hard to repair if you bring it to someone who can work on amps. its probably just a matter of soldering in a wire jumper to both ends of the burnt traces inside your amp.

in a way it makes sense. thank you all for your help and your positive input so far. im going to take the amps and get them looked at. does anyone think it might be anything else?

now the question is what caused this to happen? someone said it is because a ground was not pluged in while the remote and positive was, and the negative has no where to go. so the negative goes to this part of the amp (the ground traces) . is there a way to confirm this just to be sure?

forgive my lack of technical knowledge but you learn something new everyday. i am more worried there is something wrong with the car so after i get the amps fixed, this does not happen again.  does anyone have any experiance fixing this problem? i would like to learn something from this experiance and i have a few freinds who are handy with their soldering iron and electronics.

tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2009 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  
So in the "Few good months" of sound...It just all of the sudden did this...Or you were working on something and then strange stuff happened...? You said your radio was wired w/ 16g to battery? Also , You are going from I-Pod to Amp...? Or Ipod-Stereo-Amp...? At first you said the Zapco amp did not have noise...Was car off when you tried...Go ahead and bench test your amp...Get a battery (12v)...Wire 12v and remote together to positive terminal and then ground to negative terminal...Same w/ radio...Go ahead and take it out of car and wire up...Red,Yellow to 12v...Black to ground...Put in RCA's from radio to amp...Play a cd and see if you get strange sound...Probably use old factory speakersor anything you have laying around....Try 2nd amp...Same radio...Noise...? Check w/ I-Pod also...See if volume is still low untill you touch I-Pod Etc...
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
snhtown 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2009 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
acatuly i cant exactly pinpoint when it started doing this. it was fine up until i got the kicker amp and put it in. all was well and then all of suden it started.  if i could remember when it happened it might better explain why this hapened.  can you get engine noise if your ground is not good? today i ran a ground and a positive off of my other car and the noise was still there with the pioneer radio. if i plug my ipod instead of the radio the noise is gone but if i touch the amp with the ipod as before there is no change in the music this time. i used the ipod stright to the amp, not though the stereo. i also pluged the ipod though the rca's that run from the radio back to the amp and the noise is gone.
snhtown 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2009 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  
also im not sure if i said before but i notice that when i turn the volume from 0 to 1 on the radio the speakers off the amp make a little popping sound
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic