amplifier clipping and etc information

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lakewood777 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2009 at 12:42 AM / IP Logged  
Guys i need some help. I have:
2 JL Audio W3s DVC They are an older model (and im pretty sure that they are rated at 2 ohms) if you know anything about the older W3s DVCs then let me know becuz im having a hard time finding specs on them.
1 Hifonics Boltar XI amp   w/ 2 channel stability at 2 and 4 ohms, MONO stabilty at 4 ohms.
2OHM - 2X225
4OHM - 2X350
4OHM(MONO) - 1X700
4AWG Wire
Upgraded Battery Wires and Clean Chasis ground connections.
Assuming that the subs are rated at 2 ohms, i decided to channel each speaker seperatly and create a 4 ohm load. [(+)Load----(+)(-)---(+)(-)----(-)Load]    For each speaker seperatly.
I installed everything myself, I am certain that all connections are made properly.
When i power everything up the amplifier seems as if it starts up right, however im certain that the volume levels of the bass are not what they should be, it is a very low quiet bass. Then after i begin to turn the volume up the bass will continue to stay at its low level, just rising gradually with the volume. But then give it a minute with the volume at a pretty high setting, and then the subs will hit reallll hard like they are getting the output i know they should be getting, and then the amp will clip out, and the Diagnos LED will light.   Im know expert at car audio, but i am an electrician, and i have some experience. So my question is that i dont know whats causing the amp to get such a low power draw initially, and then cause it to recieve that full power draw and then clip out like that. does it sound like somthing is wrong with my wiring, or that there is somthing wrong with the amplifier interanlly?
lakewood777 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2009 at 12:47 AM / IP Logged  
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V6 4.0   FOR THE REFERENCE
bigrank916 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2009 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  
Im no expert either but it sounds like your amp...but Im no expert.
panerailover 
Copper - Posts: 47
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2009 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  
looks like an amp
01 Lexus GS430 SOLD.. 04 BMW 545i Sport, NAV Logic7
icearrow6 
Copper - Posts: 497
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2009 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  
Bad amp, Jl w3 v2 = 400w RMS.
Do you have a multi meter? measure the resistance (OHMS) on each coil, to make sure its 2ohm or 4 ohm coils.
lakewood777 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2009 at 1:06 AM / IP Logged  
its wierd....the JL's were measuring about 2.6 Ohms each coil on the multimeter....?
lakewood777 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2009 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  
also i would say they are V1's becuz they dont look like the images of v2,   they look like this amplifier clipping and etc information - Last Post -- posted image.
jus the 12" W3 version
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2009 at 4:34 AM / IP Logged  
I've seen class AB amps clip for reasons that could be contributed to nothing other than insufficient wattage.
This is what I do for FUN!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2009 at 8:31 AM / IP Logged  

lakewood777 wrote:
its wierd....the JL's were measuring about 2.6 Ohms each coil on the multimeter....?

That's correct.  Your initial post sounds like the amplifier is defective.

Support the12volt.com
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2009 at 8:32 AM / IP Logged  

ianarian wrote:
I've seen class AB amps clip for reasons that could be contributed to nothing other than insufficient wattage.

Huh?  That makes no sense.

Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic