viper 5901 starter kill , remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
namyenruoj 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2009 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  
hello everyone,
i have a toyota 1998 Rav4, 2 door which i'm trying to install this viper 5901. I got the alarm working and so as the power locks which i added. my problem is the wiring harness to do the starter kill and remote start i have no idea where and how to hook up those wire. i also want to turn on my heater on the remote start, very handy on winter time. is it possible. can you direct me to which wire to use and how to use. very appreciated
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 27, 2009 at 7:07 AM / IP Logged  

Have you considered taking it to a professional?

Kevin Pierson
namyenruoj 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2009 at 8:16 AM / IP Logged  
no, i realy like to do it my self if i can
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 27, 2009 at 8:24 AM / IP Logged  

Here is the wiring information:

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/alarmdetail/2118.html

The only reason I asked if you considered taking it to a professional is because you stated you have "no idea" how to hook these wires up.  My recomendation to you would be to read the installation manual that came with the unit, and then read it again, and again until you understand where and why all wires need to be connected.

As far as "how " to hook the wires up - I highly recomend soldering ALL remote start connections.  Once you start dealing with the heavier guage remote start wires soldering is the only way to achieve a connection that will last as long as the car.  Crimping and ttaps will only lead to problems.

I've never actually hooked a remote start up to turn a heater on when the car is started - typically you just leave the heater on when you turn the car off and when it starts the heater comes back on.

Good luck!

Kevin Pierson
namyenruoj 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2009 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the help. i'll try to read them again and hopefully it will give some senses.
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,603
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2009 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  
this unit has the starter kill built in with it, i've never done a 5901 as yet, but i install dei on a regular basis, the starter kill wires on the system are normally green and violet, find the starter wire in the vehicle, cut it in half, and connect the green wire to the side from the key cylinder and the violet to the side leading to the engine. also unless the heat and a/c controls are separate on this vehicle which i don't think it is, it would be alot easier to just leave the heater on, so it comes on with the ignition like kevin said.
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2009 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  
Those manuals are incredibly diffucult, especially for first time...look at wiring diagram...go to wiring desription...back to wiring diagram...Make notes at wiring diagram when you find out what wires they connect to in the vehicle....And so on...There have been quite a few posts on the 5901 recently...Have you used search feature yet...? A couple quick pointers...I believe those come in manual transmission mode(default), and have to be switched to automatic transmission...The tach also default is virtual tach and if you are going tach-less make sure you change it in programming! I personally prep the unit before every install...Since this is your first time you can start a basic prep...Cut wires in the harness on remote start as you figure out which ones you will use...Staircase the cuts so there is no chance any wires will touch. Once you have cut , start wrapping harness w/ tape...I always tape all wire from brain to connection...Makes for a clean install, and hides the wires... I always tape fuses so there is no chance of making contact w/ metal under-dash. Personally i mount the brain first ,and then start to run wires through to where they will connect  ,cut to lenght and solder , going over existing harnesses to avoid wires dropping down...If it is low current parking lights or brake i do sneak a t-tap in every once in awhile...Have you ever soldered before...? If you prep there is not so much confusion and spaghetti once you mount brain and start install.Plus it helps you not confuse wires like green for un-lock and the green for door trigger and so on...
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2009 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
A far as turning heater on...You will just power up vehicles accesory wire that controls hvac...you will need to leave heater control on whatever position you want it to blow before getting out of vehicle,normally defrost full-blast. Also although often overlooked or just not thought about...You can use the remote start  to turn on A/C when it is 100 degrees and have a nice cool car in the summer.
M.E.C.P & First-Class
namyenruoj 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2009 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  
thanks tommy for all the information. I did manage to install my viper 5901 as much as i can for my 1998 toyota Rav4, 2 door manual transmission. The only problem that I have right now is I can not do the remote start. The wiring diagram from H3 harness. where do you connect the pink/white flex relay and pink/black flex relay contact 87a to the car wiring harness. I remember I don't have anything connected from the ignition 2 (BLACK/ white).
also from H1 harness do you have to hook up the WHITE/ blue remote start activation and where? this is the last thing I have to make the remote start. almost anything works.
-arm and disarm, 1-chirp and 2 chirps respectively
-lock and unlock upon arming and disarming
-park light flashes
-interior dome light turns on for 30 secondsafter disarming
-----------------------------------------------------------------
-remote start not complete with 7 chirps?
any suggestion would be appreciated
Posted: May 29, 2009 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  
I think 7 chirps is tach not learned ...Are you going w/ tach or tach-less...In manual mode there is a sequence the brain has to see while shutting car off and if not done properly...will not allow r/s to activate.!
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic