icon

how far can i push my sub?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dennyboy 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2009 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  
I have an MA15D4 sub woofer. I got it from a co worker that no longer works with me and said to keep it. I was wondering what kind of amp i can run on it. its a dual 4ohm at 400 watt. how far would you guys think i could push it?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 27, 2009 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  
All I can tell you is, If you push it too hard only once, you can not take it back.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2009 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  
Depends on how heavy it is, if you are going up hill or not, whether or not it is in a shopping cart, what kind of physical shape you are in....
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2009 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  
got it from a coworker who said "keep it"? where did he steal it from?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2009 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
You can push it 'till it don't go no mo'. how far can i push my sub? -- posted image.
You can push it all the way to 400 watts. What kind of question is this? how far can i push my sub? -- posted image. It's a 400 watt woofer, what kind of answer were you expecting?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
dennyboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2009 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
forbidden wrote:
Depends on how heavy it is, if you are going up hill or not, whether or not it is in a shopping cart, what kind of physical shape you are in....
funny.... sorry im a noob. can i not ask a question... am i in the wrong section?
ckeeler wrote:
got it from a coworker who said "keep it"? where did he steal it from?
i know he bought it, i was there. It was when circuit city was falling, he went in and got it for real cheap like 80 dollars.
ive tried to look for an amp for it. i can find ones that are like 350 watt at 2 ohm but nothing 400 i can find 450 watt but not 400 watt. do you think it can got to 450 or 500?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2009 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  
No, you are not in the wrong section, but the ratings on a woofer are there to tell you how far you can "push it". They aren't just arbitrary numbers, they mean "this is how much power you can apply to the voice coil(s) of this woofer".
I would suggest a mono amplifier rated at 400 watts into either 2 ohms if you wire the voice coils in parallel or (conveniently) 400 watts into 8 ohms, if you wire the voice coils in series. A stereo amplifier rated somewhere around 150 to 200 watts per channel into 4 ohms would also work. Bridged into the 8 ohm load of the two voice coils wired in series, this would give you between 300 and 400 watts.
You could also use an amplifier rated around 300 watts into 4 ohms, and only run one voice coil, leaving two of the terminals disconnected.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2009 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
You most certainly can ask anything you need to, just expect some rather odd answers at the same time. Hang around the site, there is lots to learn even from some of us with a rather odd sense of humour.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
dennyboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2009 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
No, you are not in the wrong section, but the ratings on a woofer are there to tell you how far you can "push it". They aren't just arbitrary numbers, they mean "this is how much power you can apply to the voice coil(s) of this woofer".
I would suggest a mono amplifier rated at 400 watts into either 2 ohms if you wire the voice coils in parallel or (conveniently) 400 watts into 8 ohms, if you wire the voice coils in series. A stereo amplifier rated somewhere around 150 to 200 watts per channel into 4 ohms would also work. Bridged into the 8 ohm load of the two voice coils wired in series, this would give you between 300 and 400 watts.
You could also use an amplifier rated around 300 watts into 4 ohms, and only run one voice coil, leaving two of the terminals disconnected.
Thank you!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2009 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  

forbidden wrote:

Best post of the week, Rob strikes again.  I've missed you man.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic