british ioplay and a california sony

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cdifani 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2009 at 6:09 AM / IP Logged  
Guys:
I'm stuck. A good friend (in England) sent me (in California) a IoPlay unit as a gift after he heard my tale of woe. My goal was to install the IoPlay unit with my Sony MEX-50 stereo unit in my 1990 Ford F-350 4WD SuperCab long bed, dually 7.3L turbo diesel (which is pretty unique).
The IoPlay was going to be my means to connect 3 different Blue Tooth devices, and solve a number of problems, all at one fell swope.
Unfortunately neither of us realized that the IoPlay people don't seem to have any idea what a wiring diagram, or a schematic is. Not a clue.
The IoPlay has "ISO plugs", such that it is a very simple "plug the plugs in" installation. Of course here in California when I ask about ISO diagrams I get a blank look.
What I need is some kind of cross diagram that shows the standard US aftermarket stereo wiring with the Eurpean ISO plug wiring. Or something like that. I have all my wires identified on my Sony, the 2 KW amps, the 12 speakers, the XM receiver, and all the rest. But I'm hesitant to just start whacking away at the wiring....
So, if anyone has some kind of cross connection info, for Sony, Pioneer, or any late model car stereo head unit, I will be forever grateful....
Thanks for your time,
Chris Difani
Sacramento, CA USA
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2009 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged  

Back of Euro sets, actually the easiest answer would be for your friend to order a Sony plug to ISO from Autoleads etc. that's how they  (all the brands) come in Europe. But to answer your question, plug to the radio, there's a holding pin one side, (has female connectors) towards holding pin top rear right+ front right+ front left+ rear left + bottom row, rear right- front right- front left-rear left-.

Top plug upper level far side to holding pin; 12v+ ACC* , Illumination;  lower level below ACC, ground, antenna trigger, !"v+ perm* These two are transposed on some French and German cars. Other pins used for phone mute, phone line inputs, + and - etc.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 06, 2009 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  

https://www.the12volt.com/request/request2.asp

The above link along with Howie's info should get you going.

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2009 at 3:26 AM / IP Logged  
Just athought but could you tell me how many pin connectors or better still post a diagramme or good photo of the plug that goes into the back of the Sony, I'll then cross reference with a UK equivalent of Scosche, post a part number and your UK friend can purchase it from his local car audio outlet, all your leads except io to car's OEM would then be taken care of. This is because if your head unit were UK product the plug would be pre-equipped with ISO speaker and power plugs.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2009 at 3:28 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry, I just realised, io is US sourced anyway, or speak to Dee at Armour Auto, she's the technical manager and Armour Auto handle io in the UK (along with what's left of DEI)
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2009 at 3:29 AM / IP Logged  
I just realised, are you my old friend with thbe Pantera?
cdifani 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2009 at 4:20 AM / IP Logged  
YES, that's me! And while the Pantera's not on the road yet, I did get the engine dynoed, and it puts out 674HP at 6200RPM, and 729ft/lbs torque at 4100RPM, and that's with the blower at the "low" setting.
Of course now I've got to get that darn engine into the car, but that's the story of my life... always something to do...
So, did you get moved into your new shop and all?
Chris
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2009 at 5:28 AM / IP Logged  
Right Chris this is one answer.  Look at the Sony's plug.  There will be between 15 and 18 pins. Armour Auto.com list these 4 replacements with ISO plugs:- 15pin = PC3- 429,  16pin = PC3- 433, 17pin = PC3-430 and 18pin = PC3-432. Your friend could go into any UK car audio shop to buy the right one.Contact Parrot or ioplay, they list "SOT"  Y-or patch leads from the head unit to different plugs on the cars, (ISO has been replaced by the MOST or quadlock), see if they do a conversion to US vehicles. Nothing happened my end, business has gone down the tubes because of the recession.
cdifani 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2009 at 5:52 AM / IP Logged  
Howie:
Here's a picture or two of the IoPlay plugs. Personally I'm hoping that I can simply do some "cut and splice" at this end, between the Sony plug and its wiring harness.
british ioplay and a california sony -- posted image.british ioplay and a california sony -- posted image.
Also my email is cdifani at pacbell dot netbritish ioplay and a california sony -- posted image.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2009 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  
Chris, get your UK friend to do what I suggested earlier, that will save you half the work.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic