Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
broke ef 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2009 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  

Ok guys (and gals) I have a 2007 Chevy Cobalt and currently have the following:

Head Unit: Alpine CDA-9857

Front speakers: JL Audio C2-650x (6.5" coax)

Rear speakers: Diamond audio D393i (6x9" coax)

Sub: Infinity Perfect 10d VQ in a custom sealed fiberglass box

Sub Amp: Alpine MRP-M500

The interior speakers are driven off of the head unit, and I will most likely keep it that way.  My big complaint is that I have no way to crossover the interiors.  I am looking for a head unit with more audio adjustability, but still retains the same functionality for my iPod as my current Alpine.  I have looked at the new Alpine units that do not have CD and though they are nice, it seems like you need a lot of add on’s for them to be truly bad ass.  I have also been looking at the new Pioneers, but I don’t know how good they will be with the iPod (Alpine seems to excel at this).  Let's hear what everyone has to say.

Thanks,

Sean

tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2009 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  
Why have you decided not to run speakers on an amp...? I think you would be alot happier w/ SQ by amping those speakers...
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
broke ef 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2009 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged  

There are a lot of reasons.  The car does not have a  very big trunk and I take it on road trips from time to time, so I dont want amps taking up space.  Curently the sub is quickly and easily removable if needed (although it has a very small footprint) and the amp is located under the passenger seat (taking up no room).  I wouldnt have a very good place to put an interior amp.  I also dont want to keep this car very long so I dont want to take the time to wire all of the speakers from the amp.  And lastly the biggest reason...  I tend to not be able to do things on a small scale.  Right now there is a good balance with the sub and interiors with them on headunit power.  If I have an amp on the interiors, I will quickly want more power for the sub, then a larger sub.  Then I will want to do component speakers and so on.  As it is I am fighting doing anything more to the system, becuase I would like it louder.

I fully understand all of the very good reasons to do a seperate interior amp, but I simply do not want to on this car.  I have had a few cars with much more eloborate systems.  I do plan on going further with my stereo on the next car, but for now Im not going to bother.

Sean

broke ef 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2009 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  

OK, I know I said I was against putting an amp on the interiors but the more I look around the better that seems.  I think my plans have shifted into an Alpine MRP-F300 which is the same size as my current Alpine MRP-M500 meaning I can fit it under the driver seat keeping with my clean look.  It is 50x4 so I don’t think I will have to worry too much about over powering the sub, but I will have much more head room.  Wiring wise they both take 8ga input for power but different amp fuses, so I think I plan on getting a Stinger pro fused distribution block that takes 1 4ga in, through two separate AGU fuses (1 50 amp for the interior amp, and 1 60 amp for the sub amp) that then go to two 8ga outs.  That takes care of power and fusing all in one so it will take up less space and look cleaner.

Now for my one concern, as it is with just the one amp when I turn the system up the lights will dim.  It’s not the worst I’ve seen, but I don’t want it to do that at all.  Would I be better off getting a 1farad cap, or a better battery?  I know this isn’t a very hardcore set up by any means, but should I consider upgrading the wire from the alternator to the batter, or is that a waste for what I have? 

Thanks,

Sean

spmpdr 
Copper - Posts: 456
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2009 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
dimming lights: big 3 upgrade found on this site
h/u: I have an eclipse cd3200 that has tons sound options: eq phase, cabin area, seperate mid, highs, lows, svc, bass adjust , i mean it has everything , I used to have your h/u but it broke so i got this one and couldnt be happier it will also play your ipod and has built in bluetooth and you dont have to buy an adapter
-A vision without a plan is just a hallucination-
imupabove 
Copper - Posts: 369
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2009 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
check out the kdc-x592
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2009 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  

There are a lot of reasons.  The car does not have a  very big trunk and I take it on road trips from time to time, so I dont want amps taking up space.  Curently the sub is quickly and easily removable if needed (although it has a very small footprint) and the amp is located under the passenger seat (taking up no room).  I wouldnt have a very good place to put an interior amp.  I also dont want to keep this car very long so I dont want to take the time to wire all of the speakers from the amp.  And lastly the biggest reason...  I tend to not be able to do things on a small scale.  Right now there is a good balance with the sub and interiors with them on headunit power.  If I have an amp on the interiors, I will quickly want more power for the sub, then a larger sub.  Then I will want to do component speakers and so on.  As it is I am fighting doing anything more to the system, becuase I would like it louder.

I fully understand all of the very good reasons to do a seperate interior amp, but I simply do not want to on this car.  I have had a few cars with much more eloborate systems.  I do plan on going further with my stereo on the next car, but for now Im not going to bother.

Sean

OK, I know I said I was against putting an amp on the interiors but the more I look around the better that seems.  I think my plans have shifted into an Alpine MRP-F300 which is the same size as my current Alpine MRP-M500 meaning I can fit it under the driver seat keeping with my clean look.  It is 50x4 so I don’t think I will have to worry too much about over powering the sub, but I will have much more head room.  Wiring wise they both take 8ga input for power but different amp fuses, so I think I plan on getting a Stinger pro fused distribution block that takes 1 4ga in, through two separate AGU fuses (1 50 amp for the interior amp, and 1 60 amp for the sub amp) that then go to two 8ga outs.  That takes care of power and fusing all in one so it will take up less space and look cleaner.

Now for my one concern, as it is with just the one amp when I turn the system up the lights will dim.  It’s not the worst I’ve seen, but I don’t want it to do that at all.  Would I be better off getting a 1farad cap, or a better battery?  I know this isn’t a very hardcore set up by any means, but should I consider upgrading the wire from the alternator to the batter, or is that a waste for what I have? 

Thanks,

Sean

That was great...You can defitnely upgrade the battery,alternator. I would start off w/ a few things one like stated the big 3.Lots of discussion about adding caps...While some say it worked great... and others say stay away(you are now putting a bigger load on alternator)

I would recommend The Big 3 first...not very expensive...Normally pretty easy to do...Oh BTW the amp idea sounds like a great choice...Pretty decent equipment...Why not use it to ability...

M.E.C.P & First-Class
broke ef 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2009 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  

Well I ordered up a Kinetic KHC800, so that should help.  I will at least upgrade the ground when I throw that in, but since the battery is in the trunk I will see how it is with the stock wire from the alternator to the battery.  I wont have THAT much power, so I dont see it being a big problem.  Now to order up some stinger stuff, and the amp and Ill be all set.

Sean

jdubicki 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2009 at 7:31 AM / IP Logged  
That's strange that you are having light dimming issues. I have those exact tow amp in my car and have zero light dimming issues. I have not upgraded the big three and the MRP-M500 is running 2 MTX Thunder 4000's at 2 ohms. Anyone have any thoughts on this??
2005 Honda Accord DX
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2009 at 7:55 AM / IP Logged  

Are they different vehicles...(jdubicki)? Back to the radio...did you pick one , or is that on hold... w/ all the new equip...?

M.E.C.P & First-Class
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic