icon

fixing ground traces?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
snhtown 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2009 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  
how do i fix the ground traces on the inside of the amp? i tried looking it up but no luck. can anyone help?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 07, 2009 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  
have you located the open trace?   How wide is it?  The trace is simply a wire that is attached to the circuit board.  To repair an open trace you simply solder a wire to the next component left of the trace and solder the other end of the wire to the next component right of the open.  The width of the trace determines how large of a wire you need to use.
snhtown 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2009 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  
i havent opened the amps yet to check it out. perhaps you know of any web pages with some pictures or instructions?
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 13, 2009 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  
The following links show the open trace, and then the same trace repaired with a piece of desoldering braid.
Burnt Trace
Repaired with DeSoldering Braid
The trace in these photos are much larger than the trace you will be looking for. You will have to strip some wire and put solder on that wire then bend it as you need then solder it across the trace to be repaired. If the bending is going to be too involved because of the shape of the original trace, simply take a short length of wire, strip both ends and solder to the component each side of the open. The following picture is just in case you do not understand what to do with the wire. The wire in the pic is WAY too small for the trace that is open. This size wire will probably be what you need for the trace you are dealing with. But not big enough to repair the pictured trace.
fixing ground traces? -- posted image.
snhtown 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2009 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  
thank you, this is exactly what i was looking for.
snhtown 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2009 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  

so if i go to radio shack and get some desoldering braid and do it as in the picture i will be ok? or should i just get a peice of wire? uhmm maybe a 16ga or remote wire size will do? i did this once a long time ago so i just need to refresh my memery.  if one amp is putting out 2000 watts and another putting out 400 watts will remote wire size wire be ok? what do you think?

i am an idiot 
Posted: June 13, 2009 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  

i am an idiot wrote:
The width of the trace determines how large of a wire you need to use.

I have no idea how big the trace is on your amp.  If you can take and post a pic of the trace that is open, maybe then i could better advise you on what to do.

snhtown 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2009 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
well i opened the eclipse amp and i did not see anything wrong with it at all. i did not smell anything that smelt burnt and i couldnt find anything that looked burnt. do i need to take the board out and check the bottom? i have some pics but they are to big to upload, is there something i can do to the pics so i can show them 2 u?
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 13, 2009 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
I PM'd you my e-mail address.  Send me the pics and let me look at them before you take the amp out of  the heat sink.  It wouldn't happen to be a 3322, would it?   I happen to have one that I can look at.
snhtown 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2009 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  
it is a Da7232
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic