icon

general cubic feet

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
menotu122 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2009 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  
do you benefit at all from giving yourself more cubic feet to work with in a box?
for instance, if a subwoofer took 1.5 cu. ft. to be optimum would you gain any DB if you increased the box to 3 cu. ft.?
in this particular example i am talking about a sealed box.
thanks
MIKE
i_want_the_boom 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2009 at 3:20 PM / IP Logged  
Good question I want to know the same thing but also how it would apply to a ported box aswell
If the trunk dont rattle then its not loud.
If it's to loud then you're to old.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2009 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
You will gain some extension, a little bit of output and DRASTICALLY reduce your mechanical power handling.
Can't just give a woofer a bigger box...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
menotu122 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2009 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  
so if im going to do it right, i would just cut back on the power to make sure not to over exert the woofer then.
i have a 1996 crown victoria and i want to get a box on the back shelf. this will keep all of my trunk room except for the little bit the spare tire will take up from the false floor ill build. after going through a million different measurements ive decided to use a jl audio 15w0v2 with a jl 250/1 on the back deck. i have enough room to put it in a 3 cu. ft. box but the woofer itself only calls for 1.75 cu. ft.
im not looking for eyeball rattling bass, ive had enough of that. so i think this would be decent for what im looking for.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2009 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
make sure you use the sub sonic filter on your amp and set it a little high, maybe 35hz if its a 12db/octave crossover?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2009 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  
Why do you feel you have to use all the space you have. Put the woofer in a proper enclosure... It'll sound better and last longer.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
menotu122 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2009 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  
the whole purpose in asking what i did originally was because of "rumors" id heard about it. so far im told ill gain a little more output and little more extension but at the cost of lower power handling. i tend to not over power subs in the first place. so unless im not understanding quite right, the only harm that would be done is if i apply to much power to the woofer without having any kind of sub sonic filter.
the reason id like to utilize the whole area is simple, its there. i wont be putting anything else up there. my original plan was to put either an 8w7 or a couple 8w3v3's. Ive heard several 15" woofers but never owned one. i was excited when i measured out the area on this shelf and fiqured out i could fit a 15 up there. not to many cars can fit a 15 and still have full functionality of the trunk, except for maybe 6 to 7 inchs to construct a false floor.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic