the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

way too much interference

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 21, 2009 at 1:54 AM / IP Logged  
Well if it's not an equipment issue, then it must be a wiring issue. Double check all grounds to make sure they are solid and to bare metal (corrosion, paint and primer free). You might also want to try a different ground location and see if that helps. One thing my boss insists on at work is running a reference ground from the head unit to the amplifiers just to make sure there aren't any voltage differences. And if none of that works, then try the RCA ground solution mentioned earlier.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 21, 2009 at 5:41 AM / IP Logged  
Earlier you mentioned that all equipment had been replaced. Did that include the Deck?
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2009 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
He said the HU was replaced "for free"...
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
krazekilla224 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2009 at 1:53 AM / IP Logged  
Yea the radio was replaced for free. Since I am friends with him and the radio was only about a month old he sent it out as defective.
Steven - What do you mean a "reference ground". I understand you said from the head unit to the ground on the amplifiers. Are you talking about the radios ground wire?
-Chris-
krazekilla224 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2009 at 2:05 AM / IP Logged  
The videos are up on youtube. Sorry they aren't the greatest.
http://www..com/watch?v=dGq_ZfYvvgA
http://www..com/watch?v=wxE8Y9pZJ1E
-Chris-
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 22, 2009 at 5:55 AM / IP Logged  

I was assuming that the Kinetic battery was under your hood.  Where is the second battery grounded?  Did they use a factory seat belt bolt?  Or did they scrape the paint off of the chassis and drive their own screw through the lug?   Have you tried running a 10 Ga. wire from the ground of one battery to the ground of the other battery?   Do you own an old fashioned test light with an actual light bulb inside?  Not an LED but an actual incandescent light bulb?

What is under the electrical tape, the tape that you can squeeze and make the noise change?   You really need to remove that tape and see what has a bad connection.

Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2009 at 8:40 AM / IP Logged  
If the RCA shied continues to blow you MUST have a voltage differential somewhere.
1: Did you disconnect BOTH batteries before re-connecting the RCAs? This is PARAMOUNT when installing a Pioneer head... (You should do it with EVERY radio, but for this very reason you MUST follow this step with a Pioneer.)
2: Where is the second battery grounded?
3: If you (just for the hell of it) touch a jumper from the back of your deck to the RCA shield, (ala the link provided early on in this thread) does the noise subside at all?
3: If you remove the RCAs fron the deck, does the noise subside?
4: Disconnect the output lead from the alternator. Insulate it so it can't short on anything. Are the pops still there with the key in the ACC/RUN position? Start the car. Is the noise still there? (With these steps I am trying to determine if there is something wrong with your alternator.)
5: That glob of tape... What runs in it? Power? Speaker wires? Do you have a Hi2Lo in the system anywhere? Was this a "premium" system of some sort in it's previous life? (is there an OEM amplifier still in the system somewhere?) Why are those wires taped and not crimped, or better still, soldered and shrink-wrapped?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 22, 2009 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  
Haem' I am sure he tried grounding the RCA jacks, I mean we only posted, quoted or talked about it like 20 times.  I am sure he did it.  If you haven't done that yet, let's hold off a bit on that.  There are new avenues that have been opened with the discovery of the second battery. 
Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
krazekilla224 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2009 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys I appreciate all the feedback. I was only able to get on here for a short while so I just wanted to let you know I am still looking further into this. I will not have time to answer all the questions nor try anything today seeing as how I am kinda busy. I should be able to get around to it probably by thursday and I can let you guys know the result. I do appreciate all your help. way too much interference - Page 4 -- posted image.
-Chris-
krazekilla224 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2009 at 2:23 PM / IP Logged  
Alright so the result was I tried touching a speaker wire to the ground shield on the RCA and touched it to the radio and the sound completely disappeared. I didn't know where to go from there so I took it to ABC Warehouse since I know the guys there, and told them what I found. They ran a new ground to the radio and that got rid of almost all the noise.. It is very faint now, almost not even noticable. Once again I appreciate everyone's help though.
-Chris-
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic