icon

novice installer professional problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
night fox31 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2009 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged  
im new to this site and new in the audio business. i just recently installed myself for the first time, a set of subs and an 800 watt xplod' i have the stock HU for a not so flashy and attractive look, when im not near my car ( theifs) so i wired a conversion from the back speakers to go from speaker wires to coaxle for the amp input. since i didnt have enough power wire to run the amp in the trunk, its under the passenger seat, so i have the coaxle wires running from the converter (located in the trunk) running to the amp, then speaker wire running from the amp, back to the trunk. and yes they are all ran through the same place so the speaker wire and coaxle wire are bundled together. and the first 6 days, i had it cranked all the way up (amp) and the stereo was medium volume. and i didnt experience any problems, until a day after i got off work, my subs worked normally, but then they cut out and only the stock rear speakers worked, (front speakers blown before i bought the car) but after turning the ignition off and restarting the car. they worked again, only if i turn the radio off now, i get a loud humming noise from the subs only, and when i turn down the music from the radio, i get a constant deep bass untill i turn up the radio again, and when i turn the igition off, i get the same bass for a split second because the power is cut off from the amp, and the only way i can get it to stop, is to turn the amp rediculously low, and i have two amps. and i switched them out to see if it was damage to the amp. and no, they both do it now, only my 1000 watt makes a different tone. i was hoping it wasnt damage to the radio cause then ill have to buy an aftermarket or go th the junkyard to hopefully find one that works. sorry for all the writing, im just really lost, and wanted to make it elaborate :) thankyou
novice electrician, professional tinkerer
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2009 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  

One to grow on.....A adjustable line converter can fit somewhere in most dashes. Attach some short leads to the converter and pickup your signal right off the deck. Leave enough slack on rca so if you ever upgrade source, your already linked to amp. Use converter/gain setting

novice installer professional problem -- posted image.

novice installer professional problem -- posted image.

This is what I do for FUN!
red line auto 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2009 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged  

The last time i had this issue i had the RCA and the speaker wires to close to the power wires... I dont know exactly how yours is wired up but i got similar noises from having them too close.

Now it could be that your connections where you spliced stuff together are not sealed enough or and recieveing feedback from soemthing. I would go threw and check all connections and make sure any RCAs ( if you have any) arent near your power cable.

Dont knwo if this will help you any but i figured id lend my 2 cents.

tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2009 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  
First it sounds like you need to read the sticky on "HOW TO SET YOUR GAIN"(this is probably why the subs were cutting out)...! Maybe i missed "it" in there somewhere, but what kind of Subs, Amp(s) , Rear Speakers(model # to please)...? Only the rears speakers are on the amp (you said they are stock)...???  What kind of conversion did you use for your rca input...(is there a part # )? Try just running rca's up and over seats and connect it to the amp, and see if noise remains...Was there a Year, Make, Model in there...? (ive tried to read it twice...!) What is the 2nd amp going to...???
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 19, 2009 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
Did you use a Line Out converter, or did you just connect the speaker wires to a patch cord. If you connected speaker wires to a patch cord, you REALLY need to look into a Line Out Converter.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 20, 2009 at 12:46 AM / IP Logged  
The humming sound is called feedback. As you mentioned, you are getting your signal from the rear speakers. Well when the sub plays, it creates pressure in the trunk which moves the cones of the rear speakers making them act as a microphone which produces a signal that is then sent to the amplifier. The solution would be to get the signal from the front speaker wires which apparently aren't running speakers anyway. And as mentioned earlier, you need to set your gain correctly.
night fox31 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2009 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  

for the line outlet converter i used, i had located right behind the subs in my trunk. and i had spliced wires for additional speakers already, but i just twisted all the wires that were attached to the converter, to the, already spliced wires. they arent covered or anything, just bare wires twisted together, i sorta was in a hurry :-/ but one other thing, is that one of my two subs cuts in and out, i tinkered with the wires attached to the clip thingies (dont know what they are called) they sit in the hole in a box to hold the wires from the amp to give subs power. i wiggled the wires and the sub cut in and out. so i thought the wires from inside the box attached to the sub were loose, so i switched the L and R wires to the opposite subs, and the other sub started cutting out, so i switched out my amp to the old 1000 watt, and it did the same thing, im so lost with it, but the ONLY thing i could think of is the size wire i had, in my haste, i bought a set of 12 gauge wire for one sub and the 16 gauge wire for the other sub, (came in the install kit with power and ground wires for amp + speaker wire) and i considered getting the same sized anyways since one sub hits before the other now.... :-/

also another problem. my new 800 watt. the whole amp stops sending signals to my subs periodically. and yesterday they stopped completely and kept making this clicking noise, i presumed it was reseting itself for some reason, so i unplugged it, but now today it works, (except for the one sub cutting in and out as usual.) yesterday, i was so frustrated i was going to return the 800 watt and get my 180 dollars back! 

soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2009 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  
night fox31 wrote:

for the line outlet converter i used, i had located right behind the subs in my trunk. and i had spliced wires for additional speakers already, but i just twisted all the wires that were attached to the converter, to the, already spliced wires. they arent covered or anything, just bare wires twisted together, i sorta was in a hurry :-/ but one other thing, is that one of my two subs cuts in and out, i tinkered with the wires attached to the clip thingies (dont know what they are called) they sit in the hole in a box to hold the wires from the amp to give subs power. i wiggled the wires and the sub cut in and out. so i thought the wires from inside the box attached to the sub were loose, so i switched the L and R wires to the opposite subs, and the other sub started cutting out, so i switched out my amp to the old 1000 watt, and it did the same thing, im so lost with it, but the ONLY thing i could think of is the size wire i had, in my haste, i bought a set of 12 gauge wire for one sub and the 16 gauge wire for the other sub, (came in the install kit with power and ground wires for amp + speaker wire) and i considered getting the same sized anyways since one sub hits before the other now.... :-/

also another problem. my new 800 watt. the whole amp stops sending signals to my subs periodically. and yesterday they stopped completely and kept making this clicking noise, i presumed it was reseting itself for some reason, so i unplugged it, but now today it works, (except for the one sub cutting in and out as usual.) yesterday, i was so frustrated i was going to return the 800 watt and get my 180 dollars back! 

you need to click your heels together 3 times while saying "i wish i had bass".
why dont you start by letting us know what subs you have(make and model number) and whether they are single or dual voice coil.
also we need the model number of your sony xplod amp because they are not all the same.
it sounds like you have everything close to hooked up right but you need to go back and fix your loose ends like the bare wire you mentioned.
move your converter to speaker wires behind the radio.
turn the gain down on your amp. you might not like it but it is for the best.
if you can wiggle the speaker wires at the box and your subs cut out that means there is something loose inside the box. you should take the sub out and fix the problem. if you want to install your own stuff you had better get very familiar with troubleshooting.
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2009 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  

tommy... wrote:
First it sounds like you need to read the sticky on "HOW TO SET YOUR GAIN" (this is probably why the subs were cutting out)...! Maybe i missed "it" in there somewhere, but what kind of Subs, Amp(s) , Rear Speakers (model # too please)...? Only the rears speakers are on the amp (you said they are stock)...???  What kind of conversion did you use for your rca input...(is there a part # )? Try just running rca's up and over seats and connect it to the amp, and see if noise remains...Was there a Year, Make, Model in there...? (ive tried to read it twice...!) What is the 2nd amp going to...???

Could you start by answering these questions...??? And DUDE...Please use spaces and some caps...It is kinda hard to read your posts...! (like one big run-on sentence)

M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
night fox31 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2009 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  

see the problem with the wire wiggling is that i switched the same wires to the other sub, then that same sub i just switched them too, started cutting out, but the one that cut out before, works fine, so its one or the other. so to speak

and the line outlet converter was schonse or whatever, sorry i dont remember lol. same namebrand as the wiring kit, i only wired in the converter kit in the trunk because of existing wires i had before. and to save time without disassembling the dash, i do know how, just a hastle lol :D  i know the wiring in the subs through the box is okay, ive had the subs and box for quite some time. they're wore out and im going to replace once i get this amp set up correctly.

and as for all the numbers for the installed and existing items. i dont have the number on the subs.. i got them for free. and ive had them for a few years. so.. its anyones guess, theyre duals 12" red colored, but thats all i know, unless they printed it on the magnet inside on the sub., and yes the speakers in the rear are factory. same thing goes for the numbers on them as well. the Stock HU is a delco.

sorry for the lack of details on items. but one thing is im sure the gain is the problem with the humming, but the only way to fix it is to turn down the amp rediculously low... is there anyway to get around this without turning it down much at all? ive got the number with the new 800 watt xplod' im sure its somewhere on the box is it not?

as for the 1000 watt.  it also was a gift from my father. he got it from a friend of his and he wants 30 bucks for it, tested myself. ran fine. but its all surface scratched and i dont know if i could make out the brand name. pretty sure i wouldnt find any numbers on that... all i could do is upload a picture.. :-/

but in one of my earlier messages, i have a 12 gauge wire running to one sub from the amp. and the other sub is running the wires from the kit (16 gauge or 14) smaller wire, the bigger wires (12 gauge) are the wires that are causing my one sub to cut out. the wires are fine. i knew it wasnt smart to do so, but its the only wire i had atm.would that cause the ONE sub to cut out?

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic