the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

do i need replace my battery or add one?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
imupabove 
Copper - Posts: 369
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2009 at 4:45 PM / IP Logged  
hello. i have a 1993 Toyota Camry LE. i have an Alpine headunit. Infinity and Alpine speakers. a Kenwood monoblock amp powering a 12" Alpine Type R. my lights dim when the my music hits heavy bass notes, especially my headlights. currently i have a ordinary Duralast battery that i bought from Autozone, its pretty much brand new. i dont usually play my music loud while the car isn't running. what can i do to get rid of this dimming? thanks for your time.
vibrationcustum 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2009 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  
Have you done the big 3 yet. If not do that first.
Can't be loud then don't have it.
(power acoustik system)
Head unit- TID-896 7" TOUCHSCREEN
ovn1-5500d 09 and another one coming soon
4-12" mofos 12ft3 box to 40hz (wall)
2 batterys, 1 power
imupabove 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2009 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
aww. no i havnt. but check out this great video on how to do it. let me know if this is the correct procedure. also u got any tips advice? thnx!
plz go the youtube website and type this into the search bar: SL-9o5kSgv4
nissan370z 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2009 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  

you could probably swap out your battery or just get a 2nd battery..

how many watts are you pushing?

imupabove 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2009 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  
its jsut a KAC-8104D, pushing 500rms @ 2 ohms. its just i want to get rid of the dimming. what if i got a yellow top battery, will it solve my problems?
nissan370z 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2009 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  

hmm.. im not sure about that.. i had 900rms running in my acura and i had very little dimming i had it slamming too.. it sounds like you should probably get another battery a secondary battery or you can get another alternator... you have to find out how much amps your alternator is and just get an aftermarket one.. and it should minimize the dimming if its serious

wolfox 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2009 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  
It will run flat in no time, and you will be replcing that battery at least once a year. Trouble is that the stock alternator even after a big-3 upgrade will not sustain enough current to properly charge an Optima deep cell properly.
As others said, get into doing your big three upgrade FIRST, allow the alt you have to breathe and push current to your standard lead-acid cell battery. IF and WHEN it is not sufficient enough, adding batteries will not be your salvation - upgrade alternators will be.
To push your sound system to peak performance AND keep your battery topped off properly, you need *CURRENT*. Adding an AGM/Deep cell battery increases current demand and looses you vital power needed to run your accessory load and keep the cells charged.
Do the big three as other said, make sure that you have *solid* grounds,add more parallel pathways with plain old 2ga heavy duty battery cable with star washers where in doubt and add a cable with a lug from alt to battery + post - you'll be surprised what it can do. (And save you a MINT in the longrun)
Life is too short to build slow computers or weak audio!
imupabove 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2009 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  
to tell you the truth. i dont now squat about engines and what under my hood X] lol. how do i know if my alternator is good? and what kind o battery i should get regarding in getting a 2nd one.
imupabove 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2009 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  
i dont know how to do the big three. can you please tell me the specific items i need to buy for the big 3. or do you think i should take it to a local audio shop.
wolfox 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2009 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  
Incoming FAQ drop!
What is a Big Three Upgrade?
Do pay attention to the vital first page. The rest is a running Q/A session that may also help, but page one is the dirt.
By all means, if you do not trust your abilities, get it to a shop. Better to be safe than sorry after being confused. :D
Life is too short to build slow computers or weak audio!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic