icon

fire from aftermarket deck

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mike swanson 
Copper - Posts: 290
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2009 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged  
What do you guys think about a deck burning a car to the ground?
This kid had 0g wire from the 1st batt to the 2nd batt with NO FUSES AT ALL runing 2 amps that we DID NOT INSTALL
Our shop told him over and over to put fuses in and he didnt. Now his truck burnt down and he wants to blame us cuz we put a deck into his 1997 Dodge Ram truck
The deck has 2 fuses on it and runs through the factory fuse box with 2 more fuses.
I know we are not at fault , but still want some feedback on what you guys think.
Thanks in advance, Mike
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2009 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  
If his insurance has the facts of what happened...they probably told him to go jump in a lake. If he lies to them and gets paid, they may come after you. I would take pics of the car and post them up in the shop. Show unqualified people the risks. A friend of mine didnt fuse a old 300w V12. That thing eventually went off like a firework between the seats of a standard cab mini truck. Caught their clothes on fire. WHILE driving down the freeway!
This is what I do for FUN!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2009 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  
As long as you kept receipts from your work and copies of your work orders, let him come after you.  You should be in the clear.
Support the12volt.com
mike swanson 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2009 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  
His insurance didnt pay for it
also the truck is gone, long gone. 6 mos ago
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2009 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
We had a similar situation...We installed a radio...Next day customer calls me and says his car caught on fire...I cant give you exacts about what went on...Someone else  actually went to court...Was not are fault...Will ask him a little bit more and see if i can give you anything...! Where exactly did the car catch on fire at...?(or the whole car is literally burned to the ground...?)
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
mike swanson 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2009 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
tommy... wrote:
We had a similar situation...We installed a radio...Next day customer calls me and says his car caught on fire...I cant give you exacts about what went on...Someone else  actually went to court...Was not are fault...Will ask him a little bit more and see if i can give you anything...! Where exactly did the car catch on fire at...?(or the whole car is literally burned to the ground...?)
Never got to see the truck its long gone and he 1st said the fire came from the back where the 2nd batt was.
I know that im in the clear, but still wanted peeps feed back if a deck has ever burnt a car down Ive never heard of it
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 24, 2009 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
A shorted output chip in a radio can get hot.  I have never seen a radio that had actually caught on fire.  The heat sink of the radio could get hot enough to melt some plastic, but I think it could only start a fire in Hollywood. 
Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
mike swanson 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2009 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
I think it could only start a fire in Hollywood.
LOL
lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2009 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
It would take very special circumstances for a deck to cause a fire.  Take a piece of 18g wire, fuse at one end and short to battery. (don't hold the wire in your hand) Takes alot to melt the insulation.  Same inside the deck.  Yes, it could happen, but then I will win the lotto tonight.  A shorted cap might even smoke in the deck, but with proper fusing, very unlikely.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 24, 2009 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  

The poor idiot is grasping at straws......

He screwed up, and now HE has to pay! he is not satisfied with that at all.

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic