icon

fire from aftermarket deck

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2009 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  
So how long after the truck burned, did he contact you...? We have some wording that gives us first right to inspection/repair on our receipts when they sign, If taken elsewhere or not given first access , could possibly void warranty...! Sounds pretty fishy and is probably looking at whatever he can do to get a vehicle and sounds like he is just exploring/exhausting every possible avenue to get compensation...(probably was his only vehicle and carried liability insurance...) Knew a guy that loosened his own oil plug...(got an engine w/ about half the original miles!) Good Luck...And thats going to be a tough one to prove...He never even gave you access to the vehicle so i can only imagine your insurance will punk him down...Just tell him to not contact you again except by attorney and get kind of passive/aggressive! Take notes and those old voice recorders work great in your shirt pocket...!!!
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2009 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  
mike swanson wrote:
Our shop told him over and over to put fuses in and he didnt. Now his truck burnt down and he wants to blame us cuz we put a deck into his 1997 Dodge Ram truck
It was a Dodge... It was a fire waiting to happen from the day he drove it off the showroom floor! fire from aftermarket deck - Page 2 -- posted image.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2009 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  
Any electronic equipment has the potential to start a fire.  If it is properly installed and properly fused then the likelihood is very low.  Any installation shop should always maintain sufficient records to prove that anything the shop installed was done properly, just to defend themselves against this sort of liability claim.
Support the12volt.com
mike swanson 
Copper - Posts: 290
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2009 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  
Well thanx for all your inputs. I never have been blamed for somthing like this EVER!
I do most the installs here and if an employee works on it i watch and guide them all the way
daboss593 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2009 at 7:31 AM / IP Logged  
the shop i get to work at part time goes beyond on this type of bs. they take digital pics of customers bs installs. than when pointed out put it on there bill. CUSTOMER IS IN AGREEMENT OF POSS HAZARDS AS INDICATED IN ATTACHED PHOTOS AND HAS REFUSED REPAIRS TO MAKE THIS SAFE ETC. we had some on come back with a messed up i know what im doing syndrom. so my boss ate the job but never again. may seem anal but if you had those pics and the above signed bill you would have no worries. sounds like you have no worries anyway. my dad runs a video cam and audio at his mech shop. due to people like to try and claim they didnt understand there bill? so they do the old c/c dispute thing. so we just burn a copy of the dvd and send it to the c/c company end or story etc. not only that it is a type of fraud, what this guy sounds like hes pulling on you?
OWWWWWWWWWWW you said you discharged the cap!
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 04, 2009 at 9:12 AM / IP Logged  
Update please.....
mike swanson 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2009 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  
Well,,, he hasnt set a date yet.
I know we didnt do this and the deck dint start the fire thats for sure
the thing is tho ,,he tells every1 that we are at fault not to go to our shop or your car will burn down
So i figure i can put a counter claim on him due to all the people that will back me up on what he has said.
I cant wait!
daboss593 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2009 at 1:35 AM / IP Logged  
yeah you can and better yet get some one to tape him running his mouth about your shop. counter claim? id sue him now people in life need to learn lessons. i hope you teach him one.
OWWWWWWWWWWW you said you discharged the cap!
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 08, 2009 at 6:00 AM / IP Logged  

When I used to work at Circuit City our shop had a policy that if any amp wires (or other power wires) were unfused we would fuse them.  We generally would use the cheap 30A waterproof fuse holders so the cost was fairly low.

I installed quite a few myself and never complained about it - the 5 minutes of work to make a customers car safe for them and their family justified it.

As professionals, installers should never let their customers leave their bay with potentional hazards like unfused power wires.  Unfortunately, some people just don't know any better!

Kevin Pierson
mike swanson 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2009 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  
I warned him for this and he didnt want to fix it.
Now we wont work on any car like this we wont even pull it in the shop
We ask what kind af lay out they have. If they say 2nd bat we look
So we have turned alot of work away due to street installs like this.
Im sure glad it didnt start a fire in the shop and no1 got hurt
But, for the system he had with a 2nd batt and 2 2500w amps, a 30amp fuse would just pop or melt and still cause a fire. We dont install a 30amp fuse on any amp we sell.
He needed 4 ANLs on 0g I cant give $100.00 in fuses and blocks away just for free Plus install them? Wow thats asking alot!
I will send all my customers over to CC if they dont want to pay for fuses LOL what a joke
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic