Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 08, 2009 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  

haha, yeah that's a lot of fuses.

Kevin Pierson
scottr8 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2009 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  
this is an interesting thread. please keep updating us.
cheers scott
nissan370z 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2009 at 3:47 AM / IP Logged  

3000 watt RMS at 1ohm Powerbass extreme amp

two 12" mojos 4ohm

kenwood excelon headunit. forgot the model i have the box somewhere around here. haha

air ported box at 4cubic feet 35hz

memphis tweeters

pioneer 6x9s and 6.25s forgot what model but they were the best they had

powerbass 600.4 amp

0guage kicker kit

2400hc kinetik battery for reserve

200amp alternator ohio gen

im also doing the big 3 with 4guage wiring

might get another battery to replace my doodiety car battery. the shop thinks i need it. what do you say?

acura 3.0 CL 1999

probably get some sound dampening too.. not sure

i read about this.. so i dont want my car to burn to the ground.. the guys at the shop were telling me they were going to be putting quite a few fuses.. one from the battery. another for the 2nd battery. and i think one to the alternator.. is that correct?

anything else?

mike swanson 
Copper - Posts: 290
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2009 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  
Hey Nissan Dont forget the FUSES!
Just yesterday a kid comes in with 3 kicker comps and asks me are Mojos Louder? Ahhhhh Yeah.
So I look in his trunk and find he has a normal car batt in the trunk hooked up with 2 4g NO FUSES. I ask him why he had a wet batt in his trunk? he said he took it out of his last car that burnt down. OMFG What are people thinking?
I told him to park his car away from my shop and I wouldnt wofk on the car til he takes the 2nd batt out and discos the power wire.
Then I said I would have to install 0g with fuses and a dry batt to install 4000w and 2 Mojos. He looked at me like I was crazy.
So I sent him to CC to get fused. LOL
I forgot he also had a 4g off the batt, black tape holding 3 other 4g wires that ran to 3 diff amps for his dist block.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Posted: July 10, 2009 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  

I would have fused the heck out of it - 6-8 parallelled waterproof fuses per cable and he would have been set.

I would rather do that then let his flaming out of control car cross the centerline and hit my wife and baby head on.

Kevin Pierson
mike swanson 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2009 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  
Ya then he could win because YOU were the last to touch that part of the system.
You still think that 6-8 30amp fuses would have been enough to keep the batt charged and amps working and not catch fire?
You would need 5 on each line min. What a mess that would be.
So that makes it bout 20 cuts and blocks and fuses.
The Memphis 2500w needs and comes with a dual 250amp fuse and he had 2 of these amps, but lost the fuses. So just alone before the amps he needed 1000amps worth of fuses.
*****We didnt touch that part of the system because we do it right or not at all.
Note: Dont drive anymore because 1 out of say 100 cars that have steet installs done have NO fuse on the 2nd batt.
You prolly would get hit by a drunk driver 1st.
Wow just got a killer idea of what im going to do on saturday
Put in free fuses all day long then go to the bar and make sure no1 drinks and drives
KPierson 
Posted: July 10, 2009 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  

That was sarcasm and irony.   No, I wouldn't really put 6 fuse holders in parallel (sarcasm) and I would only be worried about the unsafe things that I had a chance to correct but didn't that impacted my life (irony).

I wouldn't worry about being the last person to touch it, because IF I touched it I would do it right, and thus have no reason to worry.

What I would have done was, if the guy was willing to pay my shop to work on his car, install ONE 30A fuse per line.  I would then tell him that once he leaves my shop he can do what he wants with it.  If he turns it up and blows the fuses thats on him.  If he removes/bypasses the fuses that also is on him.  I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to work on a car that has an owner that obviously doesn't mind spending money on his car just because the installation was missing fuses.  That would be a great opportunity to educate the customer and become the customers go to guy for all his equipment and installation needs.

Of course I've always been more customer service oriented then anything else...

Kevin Pierson
mike swanson 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2009 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:

That was sarcasm and irony.   No, I wouldn't really put 6 fuse holders in parallel (sarcasm) and I would only be worried about the unsafe things that I had a chance to correct but didn't that impacted my life (irony).

I wouldn't worry about being the last person to touch it, because IF I touched it I would do it right, and thus have no reason to worry.

What I would have done was, if the guy was willing to pay my shop to work on his car, install ONE 30A fuse per line.  I would then tell him that once he leaves my shop he can do what he wants with it.  If he turns it up and blows the fuses thats on him.  If he removes/bypasses the fuses that also is on him.  I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to work on a car that has an owner that obviously doesn't mind spending money on his car just because the installation was missing fuses.  That would be a great opportunity to educate the customer and become the customers go to guy for all his equipment and installation needs.

The point was that he was Not willing to pay. The customer looked at me like I was crazy.
I was running with your sarcasm with a mental pic of how it would look and how many 30 fuses we would need. OMG that would look funny.
Also I wanted to fix it, but I had to do it right or not at all.
Have you ever seen a cheap 30amp fuse and holder melt together due to over amps?
I have and that could of happen again if I did 30amp fuses.
I hope your not mad, but really You would put the 30amp fuses in? and be liable for that if it melted together and didnt pop. or fried the amps and then have to pay for them.
What would you other guys do? Would you put 30amp fuses in?
I cant save every idiot that dosnt listen to me.
I tell people what they need to make it right and if they dont listen then I cant do anything about it.
Just like a Drunk Driver. Just try to take the keys from him and tell him Not to drive
mike swanson 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2009 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  
"the guys at the shop were telling me they were going to be putting quite a few fuses.. one from the battery. another for the 2nd battery. and i think one to the alternator.. is that correct?"
Nissan,,, Make sure the put a fuse per amp off the 2nd batt.
So from the 2nd batt put a fuse 6" or less b4 you run to the amp
???Dont we have a fuse layout diagram here?
Ill look, if not Ill make 1
KPierson 
Posted: July 11, 2009 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  
mike swanson wrote:
KPierson wrote:

The point was that he was Not willing to pay. The customer looked at me like I was crazy.
I was running with your sarcasm with a mental pic of how it would look and how many 30 fuses we would need. OMG that would look funny.
Also I wanted to fix it, but I had to do it right or not at all.
Have you ever seen a cheap 30amp fuse and holder melt together due to over amps?
I have and that could of happen again if I did 30amp fuses.
I hope your not mad, but really You would put the 30amp fuses in? and be liable for that if it melted together and didnt pop. or fried the amps and then have to pay for them.
What would you other guys do? Would you put 30amp fuses in?
I cant save every idiot that dosnt listen to me.
I tell people what they need to make it right and if they dont listen then I cant do anything about it.
Just like a Drunk Driver. Just try to take the keys from him and tell him Not to drive

I think, in all honestly, it would be an intersting situation.  Chances are, the guy would never let you install 30A fuses because then his amps wouldn't work.  But, if nothing else, it would show him the seriousness of NEEDING fuses.  They arn't recomended, they are required.

I, myself, am pretty sensitive to the whole fusing issue because I've sat in a customers car that ALMOST caught on fire.  The guys buddy had installed his remote wire driectly to the battery, ran it to a non insulated toggle switch by the drivers seat, then to the amp.  I was sitting in the car messing with the deck and hit the switch with my foot.  The sill plate was out of the car for some reason (thats how he brought it to us) and the switch grounded out.  Just like that, the entire car was full of white smoke.  Luckily the hood was open and my boss at the time saw what was going on and grabbed and ripped the wire off the battery - again lucky for us the remote wire was literally wrapped around the battery terminal.

The guy driving the car had no idea how unsafe the install was, he thought his buddy knew what he was doing.

I guess in reality that installing a 30A fuse wouldn't be the best idea, because it wouldn't "fix" anything.  The more appropriate thing to do would be to disconnect everything.  I'm guessing the customer wouldn't allow that, either though!

Kevin Pierson
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic