chevy cobalt neutral safety

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audiobreeze 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2009 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  
Hi everyone,
I've done a very thorough search here as well as tried looking for answers on my local car forum.
I am recently installed a Viper 5900 alarm / remote start system in my 06' Chevy Cobalt SS and everything works well. The only issue I have is the potential for disaster if I accidently leave my car in gear prior to a remote start. Instead of installing a neutral safety switch, I would prefer to install a relay in line with the remote start output from the alarm and only have it complete the circuit if the car is left in neutral. To make this possible, I believe that I will need to tap a wire that shows +12V when the car is in neutral and 0V when any gear is engaged. An alternative method would be the opposite; a ground signal shown when the car is in neutral and a +12V when any gear is engaged. I would simply tap this wire and run it to the neutral safety wire, opposed to using a relay in pine with the remote starter output.
I would like to know if anyone has experience with something of this nature on this vehicle and/or has any ideas that may work to achieve my goal. I even went as far as looking into installing reed sensors (magnetic sensors used with alarm systems in homes - commonly found on windows and doors). I was going to
attempt to rig these up on my shifter cables, but the length of travel path is not far enough to break the signal from being in line with one another. I appreciate any help guys.
Josh
audiobreeze 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2009 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry for the minor typos. I'm submitting these posts from my phone. You know how that goes. Also, I was referring to reed switches, not sensors.
Here is my total vehicle info just in case anything additional info is needed for ideas here.
2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged - 5 speed manual
Some members of my car forum don't believe that these such wires I am looking for exist, but no one is certain. I have my multimeter handy if anyone has an idea. I've been pronging around here and there with some potentially logical wires with no luck as of yet.
Thanks in advance
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2009 at 1:01 AM / IP Logged  
does your vehicle let you start when in gear? if yes, you do not have NSS.
I do not do these as a living but the only one I came across w/ NSS are subarus.
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 08, 2009 at 5:57 AM / IP Logged  

Nissans have them, too.  I doubt your Cobalt has one - DEI makes an aftermarket module for this application.

Kevin Pierson
audiobreeze 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2009 at 6:16 AM / IP Logged  
With the starting in gear, yes, I am able to fire it up in any gear. As for this module you mentioned, would this suit my needs or are you referring to the XK06 GM Bypass Module that ties into the ignition?
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 08, 2009 at 7:18 AM / IP Logged  
I'm not referring ot the XK06 - DEI makes a special module to add a NSS.  I don't know the part number off the top of my head, but I'm sure someone here does.
Kevin Pierson
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2009 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged  
689M?  from DEI and the original idea some years ago was either Hall effect switches or simply a pair of micro-switches fixed to go to ground when the shifter is in neutral.
audiobreeze 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2009 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, the 689M appears to be the module that prevents your car from starting while
in gear. As long as this unit is compatible with all vehicles, including mine of course, I will definitely purchase this.
audiobreeze 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2009 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, upon further review of the 689m, I'm not liking it. I like the fact that it is fool proof to remote start your car in gear, but the shutdown sequence is not something I would get into the habit of doing. Have a look for yourself:
1) All doors must be closed
2) Key start the engine
3) Fully apply the parking brake
4) Put the transmission in neutral and release the clutch pedal
5) Engage remote start. The parking lights will flash or illuminate depending on the model of remote start
6) Remove key from ignition cylinder
7) Exit vehicle without pressing the brake pedal
8) Shut all doors to vehicle. The engine will shut off automatically
Here's my idea. I'd like to use a neutral safety switch in the same concept that the included toggle switch works, with some minor differences. My big fear is that I may accidently leave the car in gear one day and also forgot to toggle the switch back. This could mean disaster. Are there are switches out there, like momentary swtiches, that can be used as a neutral safety switch, but disengage once I shut down the vehicle? Kind of like an auto reset upon vehicle shutdown where I would have to engage it again before exiting the vehicle in order for the neutral safety wire to be grounded and complete the remote start circuit.
Let me know your thoughts.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2009 at 12:56 AM / IP Logged  

I was thinking about what you posted, some thoughts....it can't be done because the essence is for the unit to be aware of gear shift position, i.e. in neutral. Yes there are latching relays, i.e. no current draw which could make and break your R/S grounded safety wire, but somehow it has to know gearshift position.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic