icon

transmission line sub box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
methos123 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2009 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  
Hey all, I am new here and just bought a dual 12" advanced transmission line slot ported box from caraudiofactory.com. This is the one: HB2x12 SPL1. Has anyone used this box before? I have 2 Kenwoods KFCW3011 subs, and I am hoping to keep them...if they sound good in this box. Please let me know what you think of the box. My brother in law has the single box of the same type with a kicker cvr 12 in it and it slams!
thanks
methos123 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2009 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry, I also was wondering if I should line the inside of the box (not the port) with polyfil?
thanks
glass22 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2009 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  
no need to line a ported box with polyfill.
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2009 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
There is no such thing as a transmission line ported enclosure (at least that I have ever heard of). That enclosure is simply a ported enclosure. A transmission line is going to simple be a port without any internal volume. They are also typically tapered. Click here to see my transmission line enclosure to see what they look like.
It looks like a Diamond Audio enclosure that they have on their website. It is going to be tuned fairly high (around 40Hz I'm guessing). It may hit pretty hard if that is what you are looking for. You could do better with a custom designed enclosure though.
You would only need to add polyfill if the internal volume of the enclosure is too small for the subs. Adding polyfill will increase the internal volume acoustically which will also lower the tuning frequency slightly.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 08, 2009 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  
your enclosure is nothing close to a transmission line.
It is a simple prefab bass reflex enclosure that the website tagged "transmission line" so it would look more appealing.
IMO the enclosure is crap.
Custom Enclosure Design
whiterob 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2009 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  
aznboi3644 wrote:
your enclosure is nothing close to a transmission line.
It is a simple prefab bass reflex enclosure that the website tagged "transmission line" so it would look more appealing.
Ouch, a little harsh.transmission line sub box -- posted image.
I wasn't going to go that far but I'm not going to disagree. With a custom enclosure you would get much better performance. If you are simply looking for loudness and nothing else then that may give you what you are looking for.
glass22 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2009 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  

aznboi3644 wrote:

I was being nice, but you are right.  I think all prefab encloseures are crappy, esp ported ones.  much better to build one to your subs specs.

methos123 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2009 at 2:35 AM / IP Logged  
Although you all are right about building a custom box to woofer's specs, I don't have all of the resources to do that. I have to disagree that all prefab boxes sound like crap though. My brother in law's sounds good.
I called the place and they said that it was tuned to 30hz.
glass22 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2009 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  
if you like it get it.  your opinion is the only one that matters when it comes to your stuff.
whiterob 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2009 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  
I never said it would sound bad. I am just saying that a custom enclosure will sound better then a prefab enclosure.
If you want to save a little money by buying that prefab enclosure then go ahead and use it. If you are happy with the way it sounds then that is all that matters.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic