icon

transmission line sub box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
methos123 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2009 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  
Alright guys. I got the box today and put the subs and polyfil (9 Oz. each side) in them. Not too much better than the sealed boxes. transmission line sub box - Page 2 -- posted image. So, looks like I am going to get some new subs. I am thinking about getting the same as my brother in laws...Kicker CVR07122. I am trying to keep an open mind for some other kind of subs though. I will be adding another 11 Oz. of polyfil to each side with what ever subs I buy for the box. Anyone live close to Little Rock AR? I will sell my previous boxes and subs for $60 bucks a pop together.
glass22 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2009 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  
you shouldn't polyfill ported enclouses.  The ports will get full of the fill.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 10, 2009 at 1:54 AM / IP Logged  
IMO it will sound bad compared to a GOOD enclosure. Chamber volumes are way too small...only around 1 cu ft net for a 12 inch subwoofer!!!!!
That is barely enough for one 10" subwoofer
Custom Enclosure Design
methos123 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2009 at 2:37 AM / IP Logged  
"IMO it will sound bad compared to a GOOD enclosure. Chamber volumes are way too small...only around 1 cu ft net for a 12 inch subwoofer!!!!!"
That is why I am putting polyfil in it; to raise the seen enclosure size. The polyfil is lined on the inside of the box with 3m spray glue. When I get some different subs I am going to put enough fil in them to equal 1 1/4 lb per chamber. That should "increase" the seen size of the chamber to 1.75^3 ft/ chamber.
The KFC-W3011 subwoofers are just not doing as well as I had hoped they would. (I hoped they would sound fine because I did not want to buy more subs.) I am looking into getting 2 kicker 07CVR122 subs. Now, this is with a Pyle 4 channel amp bridged to supposedly 400 watts a piece. I haven't got my new amp yet, BAMF2000/1d. So, I hope that livens them up a bit.
Anyone have some suggestions on subs?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2009 at 9:02 AM / IP Logged  
Even with stuffing you can NEVER get more than slightly less than a 10% gain. You will not EVER gain 75% as you seem to think you will. Additionally, that 10% gain happens at roughly .5 pounds per cubic foot stuffing density. Beyond that density, the fibers actually begin to occupy volume, and make the enclosure even smaller.
Your box is too small. Period. You will never get the enclosure volume to what you have to have for those drivers.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
methos123 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2009 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  
First of all, with the port and displacement from the subwoofer, the volume of the actual box is 1.24^3 ft. Not 1^3 ft. According to Lucas Gilkey, who ran tests on this subject, I can get a 36% gain in seen enclosure size by the woofer by adding 1.25 lbs. of polyfil to the box. This would make my seen box size to the woofer 1.69^3 ft. Pretty close. Now, have you done any tests to refute his?
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2009 at 12:58 AM / IP Logged  
methos123 wrote:
First of all, with the port and displacement from the subwoofer, the volume of the actual box is 1.24^3 ft. Not 1^3 ft. According to Lucas Gilkey, who ran tests on this subject, I can get a 36% gain in seen enclosure size by the woofer by adding 1.25 lbs. of polyfil to the box. This would make my seen box size to the woofer 1.69^3 ft. Pretty close. Now, have you done any tests to refute his?
I have seen a similar study in this link so you may be able to get that much gain. But that does not mean it is going to be an ideal enclosure still. The enclosure is still a prefab enclosure and could still be better. The 1.75 cubic foot you are refering to is the minimum recommended enclosure. Going a little larger would be better off then just barely making the minimum enclosure. It may sound decent but you can do better.
I was highly doubtful when I read that the company said it was tuned to 30Hz so I modeled the enclosure in BassBox. I used a height of 14" which was listed and a width or 2" for each port (which I guessed) I got an overall length of over 60 inches needed to have a 30Hz tuning. The enclosure you listed did not have a 60" long port so it is not going to be tuned to 30Hz. I believe it is closer to between 36-42Hz. That isn't horrible if you are trying to only get output but it does show how much the company knows about their own enclosures. Once you fill the enclosure with polyfill the tuning will go down to the lower 30s.
What I can't understand is why you posted this thread in the first place. You asked what we thought about the enclosure and we all gave our opinions. We also gave our opinions about adding polyfill. After all of this you have not listened to anything we have said and just refuted everything we have said. So I'm wondering what you want from us exactly? You obviously are going to do it your way no matter what we tell you.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2009 at 2:58 AM / IP Logged  
I stand corrected. Those are handy charts to have, and I have already added them to my favorites list.
I have always used the numbers I said, but I have been building for (apparently) longer than those articles have been around!
However, those gains are THEORETICAL! Take all of them with a grain of salt, and be certain that you use EXACTLY the same stuffing material (fiber diameter, fiber material, fiber length) as Tom did when he did his study, or your numbers will be different.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
methos123 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2009 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged  
"So I'm wondering what you want from us exactly?"
All I want from you is discussion and input. I value your opinion on this subject being that you all have spent some time with these things, and have an understanding that is deeper than the average Joe. I don't know why you,(WhiteRob) are upset that I don't do whatever you say. This is after all a discussion forum, not a do as your told forum. I don't want to have this thread be a shouting match or anything like that, but I don't want things being take out of proportion to what they really are.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 11, 2009 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
the enclosure is still a poorly designed enclosure...stuffing also lowers the efficiency.
Custom Enclosure Design
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic