the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

labyrinth porting

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thatfloorguy 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2009 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  
Anyone have any advice on using a labyrinth port design in an enclosure for a 15"L7? I have made 2 different enclosures,both slot ported so far for this sub and was not overly impressed with either. The first was 4.75^3 tuned to 40 hz, and the second was 5ft^3 tuned to 32 hz.  I am intrigued by the labyrinth port  but am unsure if it really works and if my driver is compatabbe with this design type.
thatfloorguy 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2009 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
Ok I did some figuring and, I am going to attempt it. This will put the tuning at just under 30 hz. The gross enclosure will 35 1/2w X 15h X 24D,  (driver firing upwards).  The port will be 4 1/2( flared ends) X 13 1/2 X 39 1/2. (port will be rear firing) I will post pics during the build and let you guys know if my car falls apart or if the driver melts. This design allows 4ft^3 net , 1.62ft^3 for the port, and I figured .3 for driver/brace displacement as this design will require more bracing. Wish me luck and if any gurus see I am abt to commit driver suicide, well a heads up will be appreciated.
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2009 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  
If your enclosure and continuous power are spot on, that woofer would impress the best of them. That labyrinth concept can make a salesman a few extra bux selling enclosures, but shouldnt be needed for you to be happy with your woofer.
This is what I do for FUN!
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2009 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  
If Im reading your dimensions right   are you intending to have 1/3-ft3' of unvented interior space? Peep what the canadians box looks like:
labyrinth porting -- posted image.
This is what I do for FUN!
thatfloorguy 
Posted: July 15, 2009 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  
That is where I got the idea from. I plan on giving the driver 4ft^3 , I then figured the port and came up w/another 1.62, and added .3 for driver/brace displacement for a gross of around 6. My port isn't as long tho. I have only two chambers of port  4 1/2" apart.
thatfloorguy 
Posted: July 15, 2009 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged  
It is aready pretty loud and moves the air outside the car, but just isn't that low deep bass I want. My wife says she feels me coming (the sub) from down the block but....... maybe I am just going deaf, but I want more, or expected more from this driver.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2009 at 12:30 AM / IP Logged  
well, from what i can tell, the labyrinth port is only really for those who dont have enough space to do a normal port. i understand a really low tuned port should be long but if you have the space to make as few turns as possible then i think that would give you the most accurate tuning. i could be wrong though. i am just going off of basic intuition here.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2009 at 12:33 AM / IP Logged  
thatfloorguy wrote:
It is aready pretty loud and moves the air outside the car, but just isn't that low deep bass I want. My wife says she feels me coming (the sub) from down the block but....... maybe I am just going deaf, but I want more, or expected more from this driver.
you cant expect that much from a single L7 15. if you can already be heard coming down the street then i would say that's close to the limit. i wouldn't expect much more even with a new/ different box design.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 15, 2009 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  
if you want more low end output you are going to have to sacrifice higher frequency bass.
Maybe a 30Hz transmission line is in order
Custom Enclosure Design
thatfloorguy 
Posted: July 15, 2009 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  

Is that similiar to the labyrinth design?  Will I increase the chances of detroying the woofer? I still have the enclosure that you recommended first (4.75 net 65 sq" port tuned @40 hz) I then made one 5 net 60.75 sq" port @ just under 33 hz I believe. I have it in that at the moment. Woffer facing up port rear-firing. Will I get more low end or am I pretty much at the limit for this woofer as sound mentioned. Will the difference be worth the effort to do another enclosure? I want that real low end but do not want to push the driver too far, it can only reproduce 25-200 hz. How close is safe as long as my gain is set properly? As far as the higher freq bass, Will I be ok with a good set of 6X9's or comps running off the zx350.4?  I was thinking to upgrade the 6x9"s in the rear and set of good to high end comps for the door panels. I know I wasn't too specific as far as the low end in the beginning. I asked for a design that will still let me throw 750 to 1000 watts @ the driver and that is what you gave me. Thank you.labyrinth porting -- posted image. I hope I am not being a pain but I am thinking I am not the first to try multiple enclosures to find the one best to thier liking.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic