icon

wiring for 64 impala

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
brad64impala 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2009 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, I have a 64 Impala that had the stock AM radio. That wire you're referring to that was plugged into the original radio is the ignition wire. I didn't have a chance to run the power cable today because it started raining. I am trying to find a spot to connect it before the ignition, I think there is a place on the fuse holder. I am going to try it with a DMM tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.
Today I finished making a bracket to replace the original 6x9 with two 6x4's, it's difficult but can be done.
97gss 
Copper - Posts: 235
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2009 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  
I know you already done it but, it probably would have been easier using 2 4" speakers.
ijc62 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2009 at 5:49 AM / IP Logged  

You can connect into the fuse holder.....but I check it mine and there's no room...no empty sockets. So somone told me you may have to use taps. I guess these taps just attach in some way to the original fuse holder. I'm going to check that out today.

IJC

mike swanson 
Copper - Posts: 290
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2009 at 9:25 AM / IP Logged  
A fuse tap goes around the fuse and then plug it back in,But you have round glass fuses in that car. This can still work, but I would run from the IGN. The fuse tap will come off a glass fuse
Just look for the wires that come from the key/IGN and test them
Turn the key on and find the wire that turns off when the car is cranked and then the wire comes back with 12v running.
Thats the wire you need
Now GM has kept the IGN wires the same colors for years
Look for a BROWN or PINK wire to tap
Take a lil bit of the wire case off and then poke a hole in the wire with a pick tool then put your fused wire in the hole. Close the hole with your wire cutters and solder then tap it off with good black tape 3M #33 tape
brad64impala 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2009 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
There's actually a single post on the left, 3rd one down that says "batt" right below it. You can use that for your constant power, I used a red female connector and it went on with ease. I just finished mine today and it works great. The 4x6's went in place relatively easily, with the tray and bracket I fabricated out of steel, and they fit the 6x9 slot pretty well too.
brad64impala 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2009 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
If you use a dmm, the post I'm referring to keeps a constant 12.5V or so even with the key off.
ijc62 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2009 at 5:38 AM / IP Logged  
So Brad...so you have two wires into your head unit right....1 for constant power off the fuse holder and the other?
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic