icon

0 gage wire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
i_want_the_boom 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2009 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  

Due to the thickness what is usually the best place to run it to the trunk? not on any car specific and i do know that all cars are different. But from previous experince what is the most common place to run 0 gage wire to the back of the car without noticing it.

If the trunk dont rattle then its not loud.
If it's to loud then you're to old.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2009 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  
Well, the "best" location varies from vehicle to vehicle, but in general it's whatever path makes for the shortest possible cable run.
Support the12volt.com
harobikes333 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2009 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
Well, the "best" location varies from vehicle to vehicle, but in general it's whatever path makes for the shortest possible cable run.
You don't really want an amp sitting under your seat though do you....?   / Heat would be an issue if you did that wouldn't it..? ( talking about putting it under a seat that has no clearance ( a back seat of a four door car )
Agreed 0 is spendy
i_want_the_boom 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2009 at 7:43 AM / IP Logged  
I was just looking for alternate locations to run the wire since it probrably wont fit under the door sill. when you  have to run 0 gage to the trunk and it dosent fit under the door sill how would you run it? it dosent have to be a specific car, just asking on cars that you have installed systems with 0 gage where did you run it.
If the trunk dont rattle then its not loud.
If it's to loud then you're to old.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2009 at 8:27 AM / IP Logged  

I put amps under the seats all the time.  I have my amps under the seats of my car right now.  But how you got that from my original answer I don't know.

No, under the door sill is not an option for large cable.  Down the center often works.  Remove the center console and the seats for easy access.  Or mount the cable to the inside edge of the door sill with cable hangers and let it show.

Support the12volt.com
harobikes333 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2009 at 4:56 PM / IP Logged  
Dyohn, I'm not sure how i got that from your original answer >_<   lol.
I've thought about putting an amp under my seat but the amps i've dealt with get pretty hot. That's why I said that..?
lil evo 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2009 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  

If the wire can't tuck it under the carpet next to the trim panels, I usually pull the seats and console and run it under the carpet that way.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2009 at 12:37 AM / IP Logged  
harobikes333 wrote:
I've thought about putting an amp under my seat but the amps i've dealt with get pretty hot. That's why I said that..?
Are you asking us or telling us?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
harobikes333 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2009 at 12:43 AM / IP Logged  
I'm telling you that quite a few amps I've dealt with get pretty hot and I'd be weary to put them under a seat where there's no air circulation that's all.
Oh, and I put "That's why I said that...?"   because I'm not sure why I said the reply before that... >_<   Was half awake
lil evo 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2009 at 8:26 AM / IP Logged  

harobikes333 wrote:
I'm telling you that quite a few amps I've dealt with get pretty hot and I'd be weary to put them under a seat where there's no air circulation that's all.
Oh, and I put "That's why I said that...?"   because I'm not sure why I said the reply before that... >_<   Was half awake

Really all comes down to the seat that we're talking about. In trucks and SUV's, one of the first places I check for mounting locatons is underneath seats. As long as there's a good 1/2" clearance above the amp and it's free air on all sides, it's a perfectly good mounting location. I wouldn't consider doing something like this under the back seat of a Civic though.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic