icon

12 alpine type r

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
imupabove 
Copper - Posts: 369
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2009 at 3:31 AM / IP Logged  
i need a help on building a custom ported box for my type r. i want it really loud. what would be the right measurements/dimensions. any tips? thanks.
imupabove 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2009 at 4:29 AM / IP Logged  
"13" high x 16" wide x 15-1/2 bottom x
12" top the cu.ft.of the enclousure is around 1.25"
that is what you gave me w while back. its different.
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2009 at 5:41 AM / IP Logged  
Geezus, what amp are you using for highs, your not going to need anything other than a single deep cycle battery with 1 M-500 and 1 other amp if its using the high pass filters. You will need 4ga wire and ANL type fuse. Also, 14x18x20, INTERIOR measurements, minus port and speaker displacement, will yield 2.0ft3. IT WILL sound different than 1.25ft3 ported. Better or worse is up to the listener. Always measure using the inside diameter. Thats what matters. Either way, your under power to port. You could run two M-500 to a single 12" DVC2ohm Alpine sub.
This is what I do for FUN!
ianarian 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2009 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  
Indeed, definitely not a need. RMS values given from that manufacture prove NADA, nor do they make my statement false.
gorilla15 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2009 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  
You can use either a 1.25 or 2.0 cu.ft. ported enclosure with a round 3" x 9.9 port The Alpine Type-r's handle 500 watts rms tjjr8120 is righ on the money.
I'm the one you want working on your vehicle or your subwoofers
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2009 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  
imupabove wrote:
i need a help on building a custom ported box for my type r. i want it really loud. what would be the right measurements/dimensions. any tips? thanks.
Do you want only loudness or would you like to maintain some sound quality? A ported enclosure that is 2 cubic foot tuned to around 34Hz would give you good output while maintaining some SQ. If you want something louder then tune it slightly higher with a slight loss in overall SQ.
What dimensions do you have to work with?
imupabove 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2009 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
how do you exactly "tune" it higher?
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2009 at 12:49 AM / IP Logged  
imupabove wrote:
how do you exactly "tune" it higher?
Well the tuning frequency of a ported enclosure is based on the internal volume (not including any displacements from the sub, port, bracing, etc), the cross sectional area of the port (height and width), and the length of the port. So if you were to change any of those factors you could make the tuning frequency higher or lower. If you were to say increase the port area but keep the same port length the tuning would increase. Also, if you were to keep the port area the same and shorten the length of the port the tuning would increase.
When I say tune it higher for more loudness I mean only a slight bit. If you were to increase the tuning too much you would not have anything worth listening to. I would only recommend tuning up to about 36Hz with the 2 cubic foot internal volume I listed. I would need to model the enclosure up again to figure out what the best enclosure would be for anything more then that.
I know you said you want it to be "loud" but is that all you are looking for? Do you care about the sound quality of the bass at all or do you just want it as loud and "boomy" as you can get? I'm just trying to make sure that we are on the same page so I don't give you a design that you won't like.
imupabove 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2009 at 1:13 AM / IP Logged  
"I would need to model the enclosure"
what model?
ianarian 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2009 at 3:35 AM / IP Logged  
imupabove wrote:
"I would need to model the enclosure"
what model?
Models? @the12V oh man, you guys own, thats just great!
Hey Imup are you sound deadened, did I miss that post?
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic