icon

12 alpine type r

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
imupabove 
Copper - Posts: 369
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2009 at 4:48 AM / IP Logged  
yes i want really loud. but at the same time good SQ but more SPL.
check out this box:
if you can do me a favor and go on eBay and copy paste this on the search bar: 290337232587 (sorry, link thing isnt working :[) thanks alot.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2009 at 8:27 AM / IP Logged  
Do you really not know what modeling an enclosure means?
Support the12volt.com
imupabove 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2009 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  
maybe maybe not. explain moderator guy.
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2009 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  
Modeling = using computer software to simulate the enclosure parameters and predict the performance of a particular system.
Support the12volt.com
imupabove 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2009 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  
well please can you model is it for me, remember spl more than sq :]. i have a 93 camry.
i_want_the_boom 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2009 at 3:33 PM / IP Logged  

What kind of software would you use to do that? Will the manufacturers recommendations give you the best sound possible from any sub? reason im asking is cause I have a jl 13w7 but i want it to be as loud as i can get it without giving up to much sq. I want spl but i dont want it to sound like trash either. I know the jl specs but is there anyway i could get more spl by changing the enclosure without sacrificing sq.

If the trunk dont rattle then its not loud.
If it's to loud then you're to old.
imupabove 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2009 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  
i heard measuring your trunk is the best way for maximum loudness.
i_want_the_boom 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2009 at 4:22 PM / IP Logged  

Measuring your trunk will let you know how big your box can be. But if room is not an issue would it mean that the bigger the box the louder it is going to be?

If the trunk dont rattle then its not loud.
If it's to loud then you're to old.
DYohn 
Posted: August 06, 2009 at 4:23 PM / IP Logged  
i_want_the_boom wrote:

What kind of software would you use to do that? Will the manufacturers recommendations give you the best sound possible from any sub? reason im asking is cause I have a jl 13w7 but i want it to be as loud as i can get it without giving up to much sq. I want spl but i dont want it to sound like trash either. I know the jl specs but is there anyway i could get more spl by changing the enclosure without sacrificing sq.

Software: WinISD or Unibox, both are very good.  The Hot Topics section has a great tutorial on using WinISD.  And no, the MFG recommendations are not always the best sound possible.  They give you a good usable starting point that will work for the typical applications, but they are not necessarily intended to squeeze every last db out of a woofer.

Support the12volt.com
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2009 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  
i_want_the_boom wrote:

DYohn is right (of course) about manufacturer recommendations not always being the best. This is moslty going to happen when you are dealing with large manufacturers such as Alpine or JL.
There is a lot of thought and testing that they put into their recommendations. However, their recommendations have to withstand several factors smaller companies will not face. They need to make sure to appeal to large crowds of people. This means making an enclosure that is small so it can fit in most people's vehicles. It also means having the sub's sound be appealing to their customers. A lot of times this means a highly tuned enclosure that is mostly made for loudness. For serious car audio enthusiasts this is not ideal which is why we typically use different enclosures.
Like DYohn said as well, the manufacturer recommendations are good to start from. I typically start with these to get in the right ballpark. I will use them to compare and contrast different enclosures.
imupabove wrote:
well please can you model is it for me, remember spl more than sq :]. i have a 93 camry.
If you want good SPL but also some SQ then use the 2 cubic foot tuned to 34-36Hz I recommended earlier. That is a design that I have had good results with for what you are looking for. I have heard many other people happy with the same specs as well.
eBay links won't work here (read the rules and it says that). I looked at the enclosure and it "looks" okay. 2 cubic foot tuned to 32Hz is what I typically use for a mix of loudness and SQ. If you are looking for a little more loudness then I recommending tuning a little louder so the 34-36Hz range is best. The only possible issue I see with that eBay enclosure is the size of the port. The port area looked a little small. This means you could have port noise with that enclosure. However, I am only judging based on the picture since I did not see dimensions for the port. Other then that the enclosure looks like it is decent. I have not had experience with it so I can only tell you from what I see in the listing.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic