12 alpine type r

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
imupabove 
Copper - Posts: 369
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2009 at 1:02 AM / IP Logged  
whiterob wrote:
eBay links won't work here (read the rules and it says that). I looked at the enclosure and it "looks" okay. 2 cubic foot tuned to 32Hz is what I typically use for a mix of loudness and SQ. If you are looking for a little more loudness then I recommending tuning a little louder so the 34-36Hz range is best. The only possible issue I see with that eBay enclosure is the size of the port. The port area looked a little small. This means you could have port noise with that enclosure. However, I am only judging based on the picture since I did not see dimensions for the port. Other then that the enclosure looks like it is decent. I have not had experience with it so I can only tell you from what I see in the listing.
okay i have two questions:
1. you said 2.0 cu. ft. tuned @ 34-36hz right? how would i get the measurements for that? i can use that RE Audio calculator right? but not sure how to get it down to what you said (2.0 cu. ft. tuned @ 34-36hz)
2.what if i find out the port measurements for that box on ebay; what should it be? ill send it to you asap.
thanks.
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2009 at 3:09 AM / IP Logged  
imupabove wrote:
whiterob wrote:
eBay links won't work here (read the rules and it says that). I looked at the enclosure and it "looks" okay. 2 cubic foot tuned to 32Hz is what I typically use for a mix of loudness and SQ. If you are looking for a little more loudness then I recommending tuning a little louder so the 34-36Hz range is best. The only possible issue I see with that eBay enclosure is the size of the port. The port area looked a little small. This means you could have port noise with that enclosure. However, I am only judging based on the picture since I did not see dimensions for the port. Other then that the enclosure looks like it is decent. I have not had experience with it so I can only tell you from what I see in the listing.
okay i have two questions:
1. you said 2.0 cu. ft. tuned @ 34-36hz right? how would i get the measurements for that? i can use that RE Audio calculator right? but not sure how to get it down to what you said (2.0 cu. ft. tuned @ 34-36hz)
2.what if i find out the port measurements for that box on ebay; what should it be? ill send it to you asap.
thanks.
1) The RE calculator would be the easiest way to design that enclosure. You would just put in some dimensions and you will see all the info on the enclosure.
2) Well if you have around 30 square inches of port total then you would be good. You could probably get away with a little less.
You would just take the width and height of the port and multiply them to find the port area. The height looks like it is 13 inches. So if the width of the port is 2+ inches then it should be okay for not having port noise. A 2 inch wide port would give you 26 square inches or about 13 inches per cubic foot. That should be fine without having port noise or a small amount at least.
imupabove 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2009 at 3:27 AM / IP Logged  
whiterob wrote:
1) The RE calculator would be the easiest way to design that enclosure. You would just put in some dimensions and you will see all the info on the enclosure.
2) Well if you have around 30 square inches of port total then you would be good. You could probably get away with a little less.
how do i narrow it down to 30 square inches? im not sure what to type in.
whiterob 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2009 at 1:27 AM / IP Logged  
imupabove wrote:
whiterob wrote:
how do i narrow it down to 30 square inches? im not sure what to type in.
The #2 I put was in reference to the eBay enclosure you were looking at.
If you wanted to know about how large to make the port then you would take the height and width of the port and multiply them together. If it is around 30 square inches then you would have an acceptable port to not have port noise. If the port area is larger then that is fine but the port length will be longer.
What are the dimensions you have to work with for an enclosure in your trunk? I'll make a design for you on the RE Audio box creator if you let me know what dimensions you need the enclosure to be within (height x width x depth). Make sure to measure the trunk opening so the enclosure will be able to be put into the trunk.
imupabove 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2009 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  
the prefab ported box i have now; the port is about 13 inches long and 2 inch wide. so that 26 square inches right? it sounds okay, but i KNOW its the box that is not giving what i want to hear. i seen on youtube they made a box for a lil sub/speaker and it was pretty loud. they were to "emphasizing" that it's all about the box. they also had 2 8" inches that were very loud! and people sat in it too hear them and most of them thought they were 2 12s, 1 15, even 3 12s! so im pretty sure its the box. i just need someone that knows what theyre doing and build me one :].
btw. i will get the measurements for my trunk tomorrow. thanks alot.
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2009 at 2:30 AM / IP Logged  
"i just need someone that knows what theyre doing and build me one"
Ya, it would be nice if they had like *somewhere* to go to that specialize in building custom subwoofer boxes for cars.   Got rocks?!!!
This is what I do for FUN!
imupabove 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2009 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  
here are the dimensions for my trunk:
W: 54"
H 20 1/4"
D: Bottom- 45" Top- 39"
for the width i measured in the middle because i were to go deeper the box would hit the top easily and the speakers. you know what i mean?
whiterob 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2009 at 1:24 AM / IP Logged  
imupabove wrote:
here are the dimensions for my trunk:
W: 54"
H 20 1/4"
D: Bottom- 45" Top- 39"
for the width i measured in the middle because i were to go deeper the box would hit the top easily and the speakers. you know what i mean?
That is plenty of space for the enclosure. None of those dimensions will be a problem.
Using the RE Audio box calculator I made a design for you. Just simply type in the value listed below and you will have a design that is 2 cubic foot tuned to 36Hz. The internal volume will be a bit high but after sub and bracing displacement it will be about 2 cubic foot. The tuning will also be slightly off at first but when the internal volume changes it will be around 36Hz.
Box Width: 25"
Box Height: 15"
Box Top Depth: 16.5"
Box Bottom Depth: 16.5"
Wood thickness: 0.75"
Square port width: 2.25"
Square port length 2: 5"
Try that design out using the calculator in the link. It should give you all dimensions of the parts needed.
Enclosure calculator
imupabove 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2009 at 1:29 AM / IP Logged  
great. thank you. just wondering. how did you get these measurements?
whiterob 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2009 at 12:48 AM / IP Logged  
imupabove wrote:
great. thank you. just wondering. how did you get these measurements?
They were just some random ones I created. I just changed them around a bit until I got the specs I liked. You can modify the dimensions if you would like.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic