< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wolfox 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2009 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  
Oh.....My.....God... ((O.o)
Seriously?
vinnnny wrote:
I spoke with someone tonight about this and he also said i should reduce the airspace behind the speaker with some filla foam. He also said the new speakers have a higher sensitivity rating compared to the factory ones, thats why its louder. He said to put a 6 or 8 ohm sandstone resistor in series with the positive lead to reduce it.
Life is too short to build slow computers or weak audio!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2009 at 10:21 AM / IP Logged  

vinnnny wrote:
I spoke with someone tonight about this and he also said i should reduce the airspace behind the speaker with some filla foam. He also said the new speakers have a higher sensitivity rating compared to the factory ones, thats why its louder. He said to put a 6 or 8 ohm sandstone resistor in series with the positive lead to reduce it.

Adding foam will do nothing, and the sensitivity difference is not your problem.  Here's a few questions.  1) is the rest of the system 100% stock?  2) did you change anything else?  3) Perform a polarity check on both voice coils of the new sub.  it is not unknown for the polarity markings to be wrong.  4) Are you certain the OEM sub was connected to the amp in parallel?

Support the12volt.com
vinnnny 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2009 at 10:44 AM / IP Logged  
The system is 100% stock, did not modify anything. The OEM sub is using 2 channels each from the amp. 4 ohms each to run at 2 ohms. The picture i posted of the OEM speaker has 2 leads going to each voice coil. I setup the new speaker the same way. I will check the polarity of the new speakers when i pull them back out. If the sensitivity is not the issue why would they much louder than the OEM speakers ?
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2009 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged  
The symptom you describe is an amplifier problem, not a speaker problem, although the speakers are causing it if nothing else was changed.  That's why I think you have them hooked up wrong.  Or it is possible the amp is fried.
Support the12volt.com
vinnnny 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2009 at 11:03 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
The symptom you describe is an amplifier problem, not a speaker problem, although the speakers are causing it if nothing else was changed.  That's why I think you have them hooked up wrong.  Or it is possible the amp is fried.
How would i have hooked them up wrong ? I removed the pigtail from the original speaker and hooked them up exactly the same on the new speaker. Both speakers are 4 ohm dvc. 2 years ago i replaced the subs because they were blown with another two OEM subs from the dealer and they worked fine. Now the subs are blown again and instead of buying oem's again i decided to buy a better speaker. The OEM's are known not to last long. Its not an amp issue because everything works with stock speakers.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 18, 2009 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  

My personal opinion on the matter, even though I don't have any experiance with your OEM system, is why would the factory put in a DVC sub?  They are running, what 50watts rms to it off a single amp?  Stock systems are designed for the car, and designing it with a DVC sub would only increase cost, something the factory won't want to do.  Also, if the sub was a DVC sub then there would be only two wires going to it, not four like it appears to be in the picture.

I'm not saying it is impossible to be a DVC sub, but I would expect it to be a sub and a midrange in one basket, or a sub and tweeter, etc.  A DVC speaker just makes no sense.

Kevin Pierson
vinnnny 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2009 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:

My personal opinion on the matter, even though I don't have any experiance with your OEM system, is why would the factory put in a DVC sub?  They are running, what 50watts rms to it off a single amp?  Stock systems are designed for the car, and designing it with a DVC sub would only increase cost, something the factory won't want to do.  Also, if the sub was a DVC sub then there would be only two wires going to it, not four like it appears to be in the picture.

I'm not saying it is impossible to be a DVC sub, but I would expect it to be a sub and a midrange in one basket, or a sub and tweeter, etc.  A DVC speaker just makes no sense.

Im not an expert in car audio by any means BUT you are wrong about a DVC sub only having 2 wires going to it, they have 4.
Here is a quote from a Monsoon FAQ, Firebird coupes have component 6.5S (6.5" oversize) 2-ohm mids and .75" 4-ohm tweeters mounted separately in the doors, dual voice coil 6.5S (4-ohm + 4-ohm) subs mounted in the sail panels (beside the rear seat). The FAQ is located here http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-electronics/612644-monsoon-faq.html
DYohn 
Posted: August 18, 2009 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  

vinnnny, no need to attack those who are trying to help you.

I suggest taking your car to a good local car audio shop and get the subwoofer system tested by a pro.  It is apparently impossible to troubleshoot it adequately over the internet.

Support the12volt.com
vinnnny 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2009 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

vinnnny, no need to attack those who are trying to help you.

I suggest taking your car to a good local car audio shop and get the subwoofer system tested by a pro.  It is apparently impossible to troubleshoot it adequately over the internet.

I am not attacking those that are trying to help me. I just said that he was wrong about the DVC sub only having 2 wires instead of 4 and posted a link to that info. Nothing wrong with that, is there ?
I have decided to remove the new speakers and order 2 new OEM DVC subs from GM and cut my losses from there.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 18, 2009 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  

If I'm wrong I'm wrong, sorry for any misinformation.

If they are indeed dvc subs why would GM use DVC over SVC for a stock application?  Anyone got any ideas or theories?  That seems very, very odd to me. 

Kevin Pierson
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic