icon

wire to fuel pump wire, fuse gets very hot

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 27, 2010 at 11:45 PM / IP Logged  

Sometimes all I can say is WOW, this is one of those times. 

Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2010 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
POST EDIT - due to multiple "Message Not Posted" msgs, I got in after the above Replly. Damn again!
/end POST EDIT/
Caption not needed.
Many will find no voltage drop using the technique you specified.
Hence your information will not help them.
Mr Idiot was pointing out why many will find zero voltage drop.
The above being your first post at 12Volt, you may not realise the breadth of its audience. For example, I no longer suggest tipping the flattery upside-down to extract more power (it was a VW beetle too - all over the back seat...).
I too took some time to adjust to experts' humour - like big caps melting a battery.
Hence my last reply....
But if you call others Mickey, make sure you can take it too.
And if the mickey was taken by the wrong person due to ambiguity, well hey, you may be more careful next time. Or even read the rules....
Otherwise your tip is fine. I spent pages trying to explain to some lard that that was the best thing for his big-audio voltage drop problem. But I think he just got the bigger alternator or AGM battery anyhow... LOL! To think I didn't even insult THAT moron....! Damned rules!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 27, 2010 at 11:55 PM / IP Logged  
Let me rephrase one thing.  There will be a voltage difference if you compare the readings from before the resistor to the reading you get after the resistor.  There will be current through the resistor, the meter you use to test will have probably around 10,000 ohms.  Depending on the value of your resistor, you may see a slight difference in voltage.  100 ohm resistor, no difference.  A 1Meg ohm resistor, you will see a difference.  But there is current going through it.  The resistance of the meter.
Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,601
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2010 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  

Mr kodi, aren't you new around here? We never said you didn't know it all, but geez, you don't have to be so frank about it!

Secondly Mr Idiot was spot on and solved the OP's problem immediately! If you knew anything you would have been able to figure out that if the gauge of the wire was inadequate the problem would have persisted, but it didn't, so why make yourself a fool over it! The guys who have contributed to this post have been around this site and in this field for years, their experience in this field gives them the ability to back up whatever conclusions they draw , i have personally learnt from them and continue learning!

Thirldy this is a very well renowned site, and people come here to acquire quick solutions to their problems from real pros, and they always do! This isn't a place to bash people and argue, especially when you know nothing of the things that go on around here, from your first post it seems you aren't even capable of giving advice, (wondering why?), simple, you tried to make it sound too complicated, (but then again, that's what people do when they can't seem to find away to make themselves seem like they knew it all)!

Welcome to the fourums by the way wire to fuel pump wire, fuse gets very hot - Page 3 -- posted image.

JW.ORG.
COMMIT YOUR WAY TO JEHOVAH AND HE WILL ACT IN YOUR BEHALF.
PSALMS 37:5
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2010 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  
I had a whole new(less graphic) rant...But you basically said it...CHEERS...! (last post was deleted...probably rightfully so...)
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,601
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2010 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  

I'll drink to that! (non alcoholic beverage preferrably), Cheers Tommy, Mr Idiot and Oldspark! wire to fuel pump wire, fuse gets very hot - Page 3 -- posted image.

JW.ORG.
COMMIT YOUR WAY TO JEHOVAH AND HE WILL ACT IN YOUR BEHALF.
PSALMS 37:5
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2010 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  
Trouble is I think everyone bar Peter the old sparker missed this one, is this set up safe?.
Kodi...if it works, it's the right answer. I'm using the sealed DEI fuse holders all with 30amp circuits from battery to my intellistart. Never had any "hotwire" situations. I also spray all the outsides, especially the screw holes on DEI sirens (take note t&t)and hood switches with a damp retarding spray. Keep em tight and keep em dry!
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2010 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Howie... Apart from the usually bad contact, fusing/protection and wiring concerns, I assume you are highlighting the Fuel Pump Control method being safe?
Alas I know you know of those abusive morons my colleague dealt with - they insist on using the outdated oil-pressure method to control their fuel pumps - a method that has been shown to not only to fail safety requirements, but also fails to protect the engine and often causes more damage to the engine (noting that fuel-pump control is NOT an engine protection system/device - it is a SAFETY issue!!)   
The irony is that for most, the oil-pressure system requires a special oil-pressure switch whereas the proper "engine running" sensing merely requires an alternator which most vehicles have.
Alternatively - or as a backup signal - voltage sensing, spark sensing, air-flap or injector signals etc can be used.
All require a relay so that is no issue.
And every alternator I know of (with a charge-lamp circuit) will handle a relay. (One exception is one of the aforementioned abusive morons wire to fuel pump wire, fuse gets very hot - Page 3 -- posted image. )
Alas the "NOT oil-pressure" method seems still to be spreading. Even I was a believer in it until a few years ago when I finally clicked to its danger and stupidity (even that took me a few months wire to fuel pump wire, fuse gets very hot - Page 3 -- posted image. ).
Gotta hand it to my colleague - he's a great one for revolutionary ideas!    wire to fuel pump wire, fuse gets very hot - Page 3 -- posted image.
Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2010 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  

I guess the first question is why rewire the fuel pump control circuit?.. I'm missing this one. The ECU does fine with controlling it AFAIK.. never really seen a problem there. Is this an aftermarket pump install?

As far as what triggers the fuel pump, how do you get the 2 second prime when you trigger off elsewhere?.. GM for years used oil pressure control with a cranking bypass. When you trigger off the alternator, if you lose the drive belt or the alternator fails, does the fuel pump stop then?

Jim

RE: the voltage drop.. somebody mention Ohm's Law to that person and ask them to explain voltage drop without current.. Yeah, maybe the meter would draw current, but if you're using something accurate enough to measure that small a difference, it's probably not going to load the circuit.. likely a 1Meg impedence on the meter.

http://support.fluke.com/find-sales/Download/Asset/2718074_6116_ENG_A_W.PDF

oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2010 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  
Mad Scientists wrote:
GM for years used oil pressure control with a cranking bypass
No - that was NOT for cranking bypass - afterall, the oil pressure is rarely high enough until after the engine has stated.
But that GM implementation was flawed for the reason(s) I mentioned and it certainly fails the safety aspect.
The prime during cranking is EASY - use the cranking signal. (See my previous reply's relay diagram.)   
The backup in case of charge failure can be airflap, or spark/dizzy pulses etc.
The GM implementation I saw was Delco which has air-flap and pulse sensing to it is beyond me why they used oil pressure - the fuel pump would be on if oil pressure existed OR the charge or ECU signal - hence it failed BOTH safety and engine preservation criterion.
As to loading with voltmeter, that's what Idiot said - there will be a current flow albeit thru the DMM etc. He was IMO being pedantic in reflection of Kodi's pedantics.   
Idiot was pointing out what I mentioned - there is no point trying to measure a voltage drop that isn't here because no current is flowing.
Idiot & others are clever enough to realise that some readers will follow Kodi's procedure, read zero voltage drop(s), and hence think Kodi's test has been passed.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic