icon

current requirements

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bowez 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2009 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  
Looking at building a circuit that will use a RC timer to drive the coil and wondering if the resister requirement (~4M ohms)is going to effect the coil operating?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,674
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 25, 2009 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  

We need way more information.  Way more.

Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
bowez 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2009 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
Well I haven't picked specific the relays yet, but do know will need a contact Amp requirement of 5A, and SPST for pertinent relays.
What other info is needed? I don't plan/want to use 30Amp automotive relays for they are too pricey and way over kill.
1micro F is the Cap size.
Both Cap and Resistor are not set in stone but just working numbers for now, (using these size because are locally available).
i am an idiot 
Posted: August 25, 2009 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
How are you planning to connect the relay to the 4 meg resistor and the 1 mic cap?   What is it you are trying to do with the relays?
Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
bowez 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2009 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  
Either solder or on a bread board, the resistor and Cap will be in parallel before the coil.
Trying to make a timed relay. One will be time delayed and another time limited.
i am an idiot 
Posted: August 26, 2009 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  

This is a constant to momentary setup.   If you have a signal wire that goes positive for a while and you only want that wire to control a relay briefly, this is what you want. 

current requirements - Last Post -- posted image. Constant to Momentary Output ( link)
The capacitor allows the coil of the relay to be energized until the capacitor stores a charge, thus de-energizing the coil. The resistor bleeds off the charge of the capacitor when positive voltage is removed from the other side of the coil. You can increase the output time by simply changing the value of the capacitor. This one will give you about a 1/2 second output.

current requirements - Last Post -- posted image.

The following diagram will take a short pulse and make it longer. 

current requirements - Last Post -- posted image. Pulsed to Steady Output ( link)
If you have cornering lights and want them to come on only when your turn signal is on and you do not have a steady output, use the following for each side. This will give you a steady output while the turn signal is on. Increasing the size of the capacitor will give you a longer output if needed.

current requirements - Last Post -- posted image.

bowez 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2009 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  
Not to be an arse but not the scope of my question.
I was wondering if 4M ohms is going to limit current to much to drive a coil let alone two.
i am an idiot 
Posted: August 27, 2009 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  

That depends on the resistance of the coil.   But I can not see a 4 meg resistor allowing enough current to even think about triggering any relay, regardless how small it is.

i am an idiot 
Posted: August 27, 2009 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  

bowez wrote:
I was wondering if 4M ohms is going to limit current to much to drive a coil let alone two.

Sorry I completely overlooked that the first time you asked it, Oh wait a minute

bowez 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2009 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  
Yippie guess have to go 555.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic