icon

sealing off rear deck 6x9's

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
drew454u 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2009 at 5:23 AM / IP Logged  

ALright, i asked a while ago about what i should do about the rear deck 6x9's since they are open to the trunk and my w7 beats the crap out of them. I was told to seal them off and i agree that is the best option.

So my question is what is the best way to do this??  I thought about fabbing up some some metal baskets to go underneath but i would have to weld those to the metal panel and its so thin i worry about warping it.

Has anyone else ever had to do this?? i thought briefly about putting some 6x9 boxes in the back window but i think those look tacky.

I have jl audio C2-690tx 6x9's. Would i have to worry about the space in the enclosure???

Just looking for some good ideas.

tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2009 at 7:59 AM / IP Logged  
use some mdf and carpet...
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2009 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
Don't use rear deck speakers. 
Support the12volt.com
jimi77 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2009 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:

X2

You talking to me???
P9 Combo
ID CD1-Pros
Focal Utopia Midbass
10" Brahma
Clarion APX amps
drew454u 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2009 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
why would i not want too?? i have people in my car too often not to have rear deck speakers.
jimi77 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2009 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  

drew454u wrote:
DYohn wrote:
why would i not want too?? i have people in my car too often not to have rear deck speakers.

I noticed that if I sit 3-4 feet further from a speaker I can still hear it just fine.  sealing off rear deck 6x9's -- posted image.

You talking to me???
P9 Combo
ID CD1-Pros
Focal Utopia Midbass
10" Brahma
Clarion APX amps
drew454u 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2009 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  
jimi77 wrote:

drew454u wrote:
DYohn wrote:

I noticed that if I sit 3-4 feet further from a speaker I can still hear it just fine. sealing off rear deck 6x9's -- posted image.

I thought the same thing too, but with the front seats blocking a direct path to the back seats, it sounds bad and not real loud.... especially with the w7 beating so loud.
The car is a 97 cutlass supreme the front speakers sit low in the door panel angled up at the passenger. I am gonna keep the rear speakers just lookin for some custom ideas.
hot rodder 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2009 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  

You can find these isolation cones/buckets at Pep Boys. This is what the techs at the audio shop suggested for my set up. I have a LARGE cabin in my 68 Caprice 4 door and wanted to run 6 x 9's with the subs. These help isolate the sound. -Scott

sealing off rear deck 6x9's -- posted image.

jimi77 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2009 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  
drew454u wrote:
jimi77 wrote:
I noticed that if I sit 3-4 feet further from a speaker I can still hear it just fine. sealing off rear deck 6x9's -- posted image.

I thought the same thing too, but with the front seats blocking a direct path to the back seats, it sounds bad and not real loud.... especially with the w7 beating so loud.
The car is a 97 cutlass supreme the front speakers sit low in the door panel angled up at the passenger. I am gonna keep the rear speakers just lookin for some custom ideas.

Yeah, if your front stage is extremely overpowered by the subwoofer already, then losing a ~2-3 db from the front stage and picking up 1-2db from the substage will can make an unbalanced system sound really bad.  With balanced/flat systems it isn't a big deal.

MDF, fiberglass, plywood, etc, etc, etc.    

You talking to me???
P9 Combo
ID CD1-Pros
Focal Utopia Midbass
10" Brahma
Clarion APX amps
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2009 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  
hot rodder wrote:

You can find these isolation cones/buckets at Pep Boys. This is what the techs at the audio shop suggested for my set up. I have a LARGE cabin in my 68 Caprice 4 door and wanted to run 6 x 9's with the subs. These help isolate the sound. -Scott

sealing off rear deck 6x9's -- posted image.

What kind of battery is that...Just a regular automotive lead-acid battery...? Have also heard that w/o those enclosures around 6x9...and with subs sharing the same area/space...The 6x9 is playing/vibrating at frequencies they arent suppose to...???(thinking really hard about the explanation from mobile dynamics...Something about resonant frequency...??)

M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic