icon

cloning a chip key

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
suzonka 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2009 at 4:22 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 2003 Nissan pathfinder with one key, I called ace hardware and they said they can clone a key with their computer by getting the code then copy the code into a new transponder key. ,I also asked if they could possibly by mistake erase my one good key ,they claim they have done this for many  chip type keys without any problems,is this true?
yimke 
Copper - Posts: 417
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2009 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  
Just do it at the dealership. Reason for this is to prevent hassles down the road. One great example is a customer that had a ford come in with 2 "supposed" keys.
What actually happened was the original owner did exactly what you did and "cloned" the key. But they only gave the current owner two #1 or #2 keys. So it would not enter programming mode to learn a code for the bypass. But if they did at the dealership, they can program another key that will give a valid entry and act as another key. Example #1, #2, and a #3 key. Where if you did it at "Ace" you would have a #1, #2 and a #2 key. Confusing.
Cliffnotes: Do it at the dealership.
h3_assassin 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2009 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  
Best way to do that is go to the dealership and order a new one.
I agree with the first reply.
Thack79 
Silver - Posts: 526
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2009 at 2:24 PM / IP Logged  
was thinking about buying a cloner until u said that. Makes perfect sense. thanks yimke
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2009 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  
I think we should get a reply from whomever actually operated one of these "key cloner" or at least a person gotten made by ACE.
I know y'all guys are looking at the best interest but discouraging a technology w/o experience first-hand is not fair.
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
suzonka 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2009 at 3:23 AM / IP Logged  

profuse007 wrote:
I think we should get a reply from whomever actually operated one of these "key cloner" or at least a person gotten made by ACE.
I know y'all guys are looking at the best interest but discouraging a technology w/o experience first-hand is not fair.

I know what the other guys are trying to get across, you see most cars have 4 slots in the computer for the car ,when you go to a dealer they make a key for each slot so the keys are coded different for each slot, when you go to ACE an clone one key it works like this, the computer just sees one key and when you use the cloned key its like useing the other key in the same computer slot ,I say so what it works, its saves you going to a dealer or stealer and paying double or more the amount so  who gives a crap if you have 5 cloned keys they will all work.

jim hunter 
Silver - Posts: 351
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2009 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  
the only issue a cloned key would make is for programming an interface/bypass for remote start install, if your not doing a remote start just wanting a second key this is a cheaper way to go ( cloning key) if wanting remote start just have 2 cloned keys made so that 1 of them can be placed in a universal bypass, ive dealt with cloned keys and have yet to run into a problem other than entering programming mode for bypasses etc(which most imports we cant program anyway they have to programmed by dealer)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic