icon

my first fiberglass box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pcana11 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2009 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  
Im building a sealed fiberglass box for a Memphis Power Reference 12. This aint my first box, but my first fiberglass box. What all materials will i need, how many layers of each of the materials as well?
deeg money 
Copper - Posts: 107
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2009 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  

you will need mdf wood, fiberglass mat or cloth, fiberglass resin, some type of fleece to stretch over the box and glass, cheap paint brushes, a fiberglass roller is always nice, bondo for smoothing out everything once your finished laying down the glass, some plastic  pieces to apply the bondo. Well thats all I can think of right now. But I am pretty sure there is a forum post somewhere about most of this and number of layers needed and all that. Look at the top of the main fiberglass forum page. Dont forget to post pictures or we will kick you OFF the site

That was a joke but for real post pics!

Deeg money
"If you cant be good, be good at it"
pcana11 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2009 at 8:42 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks deeg, its not pretty so far being my first fiberglass box. I already had the frame and the fleece stretched over it
deeg money 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2009 at 8:51 AM / IP Logged  
the biggest thing I have learned when glassing is to take your time getting the wood part of the box perfect. You have to make sure everything is very stable and perfectly semetrical or it will show when your done with the box. Also making sure that you sand any rough edges off the wood is alway very helpful too. Just make sure you take your time and go slow to prevent mistakes! post some pictures of what you got going on now
Deeg money
mgd man 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2009 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  
three layers of .5 once mat and one layer of cloth should do ya. that will give you strength in all directions of stress when you really get them speakers beating. it might cost a bit more for materials, especially resin, but, it'll be a very solid platform.
Glass'n 20,000sq ft can be interesting, but it's just another day.
mgd man 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2009 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  
sorry i meant 1.5 mat, typo
Glass'n 20,000sq ft can be interesting, but it's just another day.
pcana11 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2009 at 7:30 PM / IP Logged  
yea, i traded a memphis pr 12 for $60 dollars and half a gallon of fiberglass resin, gonna start hardening tomorrow
pcana11 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2009 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  

my first fiberglass box -- posted image.

my first fiberglass box -- posted image.

deeg money 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2009 at 8:57 AM / IP Logged  
dude dont glass it yet. You need to pull the sub ring out more. You dont want it to be even with the box!! also you dont need to have the fleece all around the box. If there is mdf then there is not need for it. That will create a ton of extra work. Let me know if you have already dont it. If you havent I will help you through the process so you dont have to go through so much trouble.
Deeg money
pcana11 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2009 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  
well the only reason i was doing it around was just to seal it off. I aint really worried about how it looks for my first one. were actually building a frame for my brothers 2 15s and gonna make the rings coming out a pretty good bit and all. i was just testing for this one. I was planning on taking the fleece off from around it before i started too
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic