the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

what size box for 18's?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
custombass 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2009 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, I found a wholesale site that sells those woofers. A&W Distributors, appears as if most of their inventory is very low end. Those subs probably will not preform well even if everything used to power and enclose them is top of the line. Sorry shntown, I also believe that you were had.
snhtown 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2009 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  

i would agree  with you, but i had a plan. i broke them in, gave them more power and they still dont sound good enough to me. this week im going to build a biger box and if they still dont sound good ill build a box for the house, if they still arnt good enough, im positive i can find someone to sell these for a profit. so if theres anything ill loose it will be my time, but i dont mind spending my time on something i enjoy doing that isnt work.

so, the question remains, how much bigger should i build this box? each chamber is 3.0cf, should i do 3.5, 4.0, 5.0? what do you guys think, im sure most sealed 18 inch boxes are generaly the same size.

custombass 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2009 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  
At least 4cu.ft. per sub
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 20, 2009 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  
Weak motor...box probably needs to be somewhere in the 10 cu ft PER SUB range to get any decent extension out of them
Custom Enclosure Design
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2009 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  
1: Are we still beating this horse?
2: Describe the surrounds for me. Are they rolled rubber or foam, or are they corrugated paper or cloth?
3: Describe the magnets for me. Give me dimensions, (both diameter and thickness...)please. Are they a one magnet structure, maybe .75 to 1 inch thick, or are they multiple magnets, stacked? Where the spider connects to the voice coil former, how big a circle does that look to be?
4: Are they a long throw type of woofer, or very short throw?
I am asking, because I don't think they are supposed to be car woofers at all... Like I said, I bet that you were "taken" by an unscrupulous audio dealer... Yes, they do exist. IF they are a really short throw, corrugated surround, small to medium magnet structure, then they are most likely a musical instrument speaker, and will NEVER work in a car with satisfactory results. Yep... They'll play loud as hell, but they'll never sound good, as you'll never be able to give them enough airspace for any extension.
Suggestion, though? Cut a hole in your wall between your office and your living room, and mount them in a true infinite baffle alignment, and beat the hell otut of your home theater with 20 watts per channel.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic