icon

dei 520 battery backup

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bizill 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2009 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  

2001 chevy silverado, viper 5901 and remote start currently installing...

Hello.  i have the 520t brain backup and the install instructions tell you to ground the module, hook up to 12v constant positve fused and then it tells you to connect the GREY positive output to the brain only.

A friend of mine is an installer and he told me it's fine to hook up the 520t's red + constant AND the GREY wire together to 12v constant vs just the grey wire to the brain.  also, the 520t says not to use parking lights via the viper 5901 to run the truck's parking lights as the battery backup doesn't have enough juice. 

i'm torn whether or not to install this now.  i have a batter backup siren, so i know i don't REALLY need the 520t, but i like to cover all my bases.  Should i leave it out of the equation as i intend to use parking lights for remote start.  Or can i hook it up the way my install buddy says?  i'm afraid to make a mistake.

please help me all.  THANK YOU MUCH!!!

Bill

jcs091570 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2009 at 5:03 AM / IP Logged  

I would leave out the equation and hook it up to DEI specs. Just make sure the grey wire powers the alarm brain and siren only..and is not connected to power other devices or relays.  If your parking lights draw to many amps (juice), you will want to switch program jumper to a neg setting and use a relay. I will be honest though, I am not impressed with the 520Ts. I have had a few in the past year and they don't hold a charge very long and the current that charges the battery is not regulated via the diode box..thus prematurely wearing down these batteries.  I have decided to scrap the 520t and bought a UB1250 universal backup recharg battery for my alarm system. While it is somewhat bigger and might be harder to conceal, these last up to 3 years and can supply more amps...thus if you want your park lights to flash or even a second siren, this should get the job done. I bought a 12v 4ah battery. The reason for this is my alarm system draws just under 4amps during full activation, light flash and 2 sirens. So the way I look at it is it will supply 4amps for an hour  if a thief cuts my power supply.  I use the same diode box but added a resistor to limit the charging current into the backup battery. I cut the plug off the original backup battery and connected it to the new larger backup batt, and plugged it into the original harness that leads to the diode box.  I know this is a little of the subject, but just thought I would share my thoughts.

bizill 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2009 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  

ACTUALLY, it's a PERFECT response.  unluss i do the mod  you mention, i'll leave it out altogether.  i was thinking along the same lines of the shortened life of the battery.  and i'm also in the AZ desert heat, so it'll only die that much quicker.

thank you.

bizill 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2009 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  

eh, can't edit yet...

how does the 520t work anyway?  should seem straight-forward, but things hardly ever are.  does the 520t module ONLY use its battery power when the vehicle's battery is disconnected and otherwise it's using the vehicle's battery?  if so, then it will run all the parking lights and what not without an issue as it takes its own battery out of the equation.

i ask this because the manual says not to use parking lights with the 520t hooked up.  OR, is it referring to never using the power features while only being powered by the 520t's battery?  i don't know why this thing is so tough for me to figure out???

jcs091570 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2009 at 1:07 AM / IP Logged  
Well I happen to live in Az as well so I know heat does number on any kind of battery. The 520t will only supply power to the alarm system when the main battery is disconnected.  The diode box just serves as a circuit to trigger the negative pulse to the alarm, and to open the circuit from the backup battery to run the current to your module.  However, most vehicle charging systems run between 12.8 and 14.5 volts. This is where these batteries fault..the same with LED lights on cars. There are either no resistors or the resistor used does not handle the current... thus overcharging or driving too much current into it. That is why I believe these batts don't hold up very long. LED lights start flickering and eventually burn out..just as an example. The parking light flash when in positive jumper position relies on the on board relay of the alarm.. while switching to a neg jumper, to the best of my knowledge uses the vehicle relay.  I suppose that is why the vehicle park lights won't flash when the battery is disconnected thus allowing the 520t to do its job.  The main reason I am going with a different backup battery, is for higher amp output to drive my 2 sirens, piezo, strobe lights and park light flash if the battery is disconnected. I would just make sure when you buy a 520t it is for sure new and has not been sitting on a storage shelf for years. Hope you find my insight informative.
richdaddy76 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2009 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  
jcs091570 wrote:

I use the same diode box but added a resistor to limit the charging current into the backup battery. I cut the plug off the original backup battery and connected it to the new larger backup batt, and plugged it into the original harness that leads to the diode box.  I know this is a little of the subject, but just thought I would share my thoughts.

Could you tell me the resistor you used and where you placed it? I really like this idea, I just ordered 2 of the UB1250's so I could set this up in my truck, and my wife's car.
Thanks,
Rich
jcs091570 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2009 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
I have the schematics and will see if I can scan and post them.. or post actual photos of the diode box with attached ohm resistor and diode placement. I will find out from my dad what type of resistor he used. Can also take pics of my install and post them when I am finished. It should be noted these batts will need to be placed somewhere concealed obviously, but yet somewhere where they won't be exposed to excess heat.  I live in a hot climate so I am considering looking for something to wrap the battery in that insulates it from heat if that makes sense. Thank you for your interest.
jcs091570 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2009 at 12:46 AM / IP Logged  

dei 520 battery backup -- posted image.

jcs091570 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2009 at 1:02 AM / IP Logged  

The resistor used here is a 1/2 watt carbon composition resistor..1100ohms. Carbon or metal composition will work and can range between 1000 and 1500 ohms.  This resistor will limit charging current to between 14.5 and 14.9 volts to the UB1250 backup battery and at no more than 1.7ah. The average discharge current under normal conditions will be between 13.6 and 13.8 volts. These figures and other stats relating to discharge characteristics and  duration of discharge vs duration of current related to temperature can be found at www.upg.com  and search model #UB1250.  Looking at the picture I took of the circuitry.. I snipped the diode off CR2 and attached it to backup battery+ pin C2.  This serves as the blocking diode for the current from the 12v battery of the car. The resistor which is soldered in parellel with the diode, allows a controlled current to charge the backup battery.  So this is my little project and I hope to get the install done this week. I more or less posted to benefit anyone curious that enjoys electronics as much as I do.  This project just gets down to the more technical aspects of my needs and alarm system which draws a little more amps than the average system. But at the same time trouble shoots the problem I have been having with the 520t. This is in no means to disrespect DEI products or those who use the 520t. 

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2009 at 2:57 AM / IP Logged  
Many thanks to all who contributed on this post, I learned a couple of things today, the Cliffords we have here with battery back up, same manufacturerer, different DEI part number, if they are abused whilst alarm is on, they will only power themselves;  no light flash, having said that if we get 3 years, great!  In our climate it's corrosion of the circuits that contributes, also interested in the comment about the desert, I suppose "sealed for life" batteries are a real no no then?  I thought it was only in damp/cold northern climates we had battery problems, i.e. the November goldrush for auto factors, so thanks for enlightening me guys.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic