icon

car speakers for home use?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
daboss593 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2009 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  
ive got some old school infinities. well due to age and i pound the hell out of them the foam surrounds are starting to go.im not bitching ive gotten 13 yrs out of them and i do pound the hell out of them. i blv they are 8 ohm as is my a/v unit. so i fig id replace them with newer rubber surround speakers. the cost to have them repaired is rather tarded to say the best. for about 45$ bucks more i can replace all the speakers go figure. anything i shoulld be aware of before i try this? thanx for any input.
OWWWWWWWWWWW you said you discharged the cap!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2009 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  
I really can't get what you are asking in your questions - makes and model numbers would help.  But speakers are speakers, there is nothing magical about car audio speakers or home audio speakers.
Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2009 at 7:49 AM / IP Logged  
If you are asking if you can use readily available 4-ohm speakers in place of your current (and NOT so readily available) 8-ohm speakers already in place, well... yes, and no.
If you are running your current speakers from, say, a TV amplifier, I wouldn't attempt it... 8-ohms or higher, please! If you are using a dedicated external amplifier or receiver, whatever your minimum safe impedance is for that device will be posted on the back of that component somewhere. FOLLOW THOSE RECOMMENDATIONS, just as you would ANY amplifier.
This should all be common sense, dude... A speaker is a speaker is a speaker, and saving the impedance, ALL speakers do precisely the same thing, in absolutely EXACTLY the same fashion. (...and in all reality the impedance does NOT change what a speaker's job is, or how it does that job...) The impedance is ALL YOU MUST BE CONCERNED WITH, as this is the only spec the amplifier that you are using to drive them even cares about.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
daboss593 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2009 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  
sorry guys was half awake when i posted my ?. no i knew of the ohms having to be matched. im still waiting on the specs from infinity. my ? was more of a gen horror story one of any types of things even if the went right could go wrong. my home av rec is a 700 watt sony 8 ohm. i do blv these to be 8 ohm. than again my dads 15 inch infinites are 2ohm lol. ive heard other issues and can only sum it up as you have pointed out they didnt match the ohms on the unit and speakers. thanx for the help even if things go right we all know their are unknowns? thats what you guys are for.
OWWWWWWWWWWW you said you discharged the cap!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic