icon

have an old alpine 7982 and want to play

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 11, 2010 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
Ebay links do not work here.  I can not see either of your links, but I know that radio does not support the adapters.  M[bus is the name of the protocol used by alpine before they came out with the AI-net system.
Jason B 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2010 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  

Crap, so there is no way to do this? No way to harwaire it into the 6 disc change plug somehow?

i am an idiot 
Posted: March 16, 2010 at 7:18 AM / IP Logged  
If you have a WORKING 6 disc M-Bus changer, you can make it happen. The changer is needed for the radio to communicate with.  That is the only way you can get that radio to switch to that input.  You would have to cut into the cable and get to the left and right signal cables.  Cut those 2 wires and wire up a relay to allow you to switch from the changer to the AUX input.  Without a working changer, there is no way to get that deck to switch to that input.  The radio has to be able to communicate with the changer in order to allow it to switch to that input.
Jason B 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2010 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
If you have a WORKING 6 disc M-Bus changer, you can make it happen. The changer is needed for the radio to communicate with.  That is the only way you can get that radio to switch to that input.  You would have to cut into the cable and get to the left and right signal cables.  Cut those 2 wires and wire up a relay to allow you to switch from the changer to the AUX input.  Without a working changer, there is no way to get that deck to switch to that input.  The radio has to be able to communicate with the changer in order to allow it to switch to that input.
Is thre a way you can give me more detail on this? I have an extra unit I could send you to test, if maybe you could help me to get this working?
i am an idiot 
Posted: July 05, 2010 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  

Since the M-Bus changers have just about all quit working because of the age of the laser pickup, I have thrown away my changer controller deck.  I do not need to test anything, but if you can connect it to your radio and it wiorks, we can make it happen. 

Let me know if the changer works. 

Jason B 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2010 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  
Do I have to have the actual changer??? I want to find a way to fool the unit so I don't need the changer. When I called alpine a long time ago someone there said you could do this if you have the right voltage or resistor?
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2010 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  

I have actually converted an AI Net cd changer cable into an AUX input cable just as you are wanting to do. I simply got a diagram of the plug itsself, found the correct wires you need (left+, right+, & summed-) and soldered them to some female Monster RCA plugs (so I can use my portable DVD player if I so choose), and then I used an RCA to 3.5mm headphone cable (Monster, also have an old alpine 7982 and want to play - Page 2 -- posted image.) to use it with Mp3 players or whatever I want. I am still using it for my Mp3 player to this day and it works great.

I did try to use it on an older Alpine deck shortly after I 'made' it, but that particular HU did not have AUX input capabilities so it did not work. I also tried to use it in CD changer mode, but I couldn't get it to work. I do not remember what the model # of that stereo was, but it was a 79-something.

I think you're out of luck...

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
Jason B 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2010 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged  
Do I have to use the actual changer though? SOmeone told me there is a way to fool the system to THINK there is a changer connected when there isn't, then I can get audio to work through the ipod.
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2010 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  
I honestly don't know how changers work through/with the cable, so IDK...
2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
i am an idiot 
Posted: July 06, 2010 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  
you have to have a working changer, or someone to build you an interface that uses the same protocol as the deck in order for the deck to communicate with the piece so it thinks it has a changer installed.  It is not as easy as "Fooling" the deck. 
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic