the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

how dave braces a sealed enclosure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2009 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  
how dave braces a sealed enclosure -- posted image.
That's the new enclosure for the recently, freely acquired Eclipse Ti 10" woofer. For those of you that have ever wondered about what haemphyst is thinking when he refers to "bracing of the enclosure", this is what's in mind! Is this too much? Not hardly! It's juuuuust right! how dave braces a sealed enclosure -- posted image.
That's 1" pine plank for the outside walls, with all 3/4 inch MDF inside for the bracing... No ring here, thank you!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
blackcivichatch 
Copper - Posts: 229
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2009 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged  
Haha. Love it. Why Pine plank? ive never used anything other than mdf... Jus wonderin.
UNLABELED Custom Car Club President
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2009 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  
"Because oak was too expensive", or "'cuz it's pretty..." LOL
Actually, I like it's sound. Softer woods such as pine tend to have a faster damping response than higher density "man-mades". Also, with the very solid brace to wall interface I have made, the differences in material density further damp any cabinet resonances.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2009 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  
Nice looking little thing Dave.  Seal those seams. how dave braces a sealed enclosure -- posted image.
Support the12volt.com
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 21, 2009 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  

I see only one pic.  Did your camera broke?

You might experience some slight expansion / contraction in those pine panels, so as DYohn said, silicone the seams.  I would think that plywood would be more stable than plank.

And oh, is that box going to be finished off with a plexi top, lit up inside?  how dave braces a sealed enclosure -- posted image.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 22, 2009 at 3:12 AM / IP Logged  
I was thinking of building something like this...but with all 2x4s.
Custom Enclosure Design
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2009 at 4:21 AM / IP Logged  
nice box haem. Throw a couple rocks in there if you really want to boom.how dave braces a sealed enclosure -- posted image.
This is what I do for FUN!
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2009 at 5:20 AM / IP Logged  

ianarian wrote:
nice box haem. Throw a couple rocks in there if you really want to boom.how dave braces a sealed enclosure -- posted image.

River rocks...right...? BoxRox(tm) did not endorse nor assumes any responsibility for the content of this post

M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 22, 2009 at 6:10 AM / IP Logged  
Nice looking box.  What are you going to use to seal it up?
Kevin Pierson
haemphyst 
Posted: September 22, 2009 at 7:55 AM / IP Logged  
Well... One, the rocks are already being hand picked from my back yard. Sorry RoxBox® fans, I ain't got no river near me, y'all jus' gunna hafta be happy with this, fer now. how dave braces a sealed enclosure -- posted image. I am allowing the dogs to run around on the pile of candidates, each of them being thoroughly saturated with "doggie releases", for that "little extra".
Two. The Gorilla Glue, which I have always used to construct my boxes, has never once let me down as far as a seal is concerned. Careful application along the seal edges will always ensure an occlusive bead once the adhesive expands and cures. IF there is any need to apply a sealant after then I will reach in there and apply something latex based - that'll be plenty - but I am expecting to need nothing... I've been good to go in the past!
Three. No plex, no lights. :)
aznboi3644 wrote:
I was thinking of building something like this...but with all 2x4s.
Got a bag of 'em... all left-overs from TV disassembly. What's your address, they're in the mail today! LOL
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic