icon

05 dodge stratus, my little setup

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
adl510 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2009 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  

Well hello everyone, this is my first post to the12volt, I've been reading around lately as well as searching in the forums for an answer but I have not come across the right post yet. I am not here to be flamed mind you, I am learning as much as i can and taking any steps into becoming a better car audio installer, and want some input on my system - I want to find a more efficient way for my system as well as tips to producing better bass.

I have a 05' Dodge Stratus with:

4 Gauge Street Wires

2 12" Alpine Type-R's (4ohm's each wired to 1ohm)

Hifonics Brutus 1206D (1200 Watts @ 1ohm)

At the moment, they sound okay, but my fellow friends tell me they sound like a cheap wal-mart setup, my trunk rattles like crazy, and my buddy is telling me that my box is too small. He runs one mtx 5500 @ 1ohm to a 500 watt in a 1990 acura integr hatchback (i know the acoustics or cabin makes a big difference as the whole car in a hatchback is basically in a trunk) and his pounds probably 4 times louder than my setup. He was telling me to do several things but i'm not sure which is the best route :

Change amplifier as it has an 80 amp fuse and is really pushing around 800 watts, drop down to one alpine type-r 12" and run in a box somewhere around 2-3 cu. ft, and dynamat the trunk. He said if i wanted to get crazy i would have to do both - upgrade the amp, run 1/0 gauge wires and put them in a 4cu. min box but i'm not sure if it would fit? Thanks for any input, again im only here to learn!

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 21, 2009 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  

wrote:
but my fellow friends tell me they sound like a cheap wal-mart setup, my trunk rattles like crazy, and my buddy is telling me that my box is too small

What better use are friends than to tell you a painful truth?  Start the process of improving the sound by applying damping mass to the sheet metal panels that are vibrating.  It's not cheap and it's not easy, but it IS necessary.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
the fat kid 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2009 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
dynamat is a must for me personally, it will help with your trunk rattle, and it all depends on what kind of sound you want to know if you need a giant ported box or a sealed. the manual says the optimum ported box is 1.7 cubes per sub, and sealed is .7 to 1 cube per woofer.
and yeah acoustics in hatchbacks are crazy good, i got a friend who had two mtx 8500 12s in a focus svt and they were just freakin loud and went to an extend cab silverado with the same system/box and it was like the sound was almost cut in half.
adl510 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2009 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  

It really hurts me what he said though, I was rolling when we were rolling in a parking lot, "Aye, yo turn that down your embarassing me with that wal-mart doodie," haha. I think I can get my hands on a Dynamat Extreme Trunk Kit for around $99, does that sound right?

djrankin004 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2009 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  
From my experience the "Trunk Kit" is barely enough to do half of a trunk. It covered the trunk lid and rear deck of a 96 accord i did and that was about it actually. I would say more than one kit would be needed for the whole install. But $99 sounds like a pretty good price for one
adl510 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2009 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  

I guess I'm just waiting for some more money and ideas to come in, because if I was to install a new setup with wires and a new amp, I might as well wait, and dynamat it then. Any other suggestions?

the fat kid 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2009 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  
what kind of box are they in now, u dont need 0/1ga wires and a 3 cube box. your wires and amp are fine for those subs, sounds like your box is crap.
adl510 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2009 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, It's a prefab (I know, I know don't burn me)I figure they would suck but I didn't think it make THAT big of a difference, the main thing is I took it to a couple of my buds and they told me I would have to build the enclosure inside the trunk since how it opens it has a barrier on both sides of the entrance to setting it in. As of right now even with that prefab box that is ported, I'm thinking it is a little less than 2 cu. ft, maybe I should downgrade to one and use a better enclosure just for one? Ideally I would want some trunk space still to put things, but I wouldn't want one built into my trunk . I've been searching for other Dodge Stratus' my year, but I guess I haven't looked hard enough to see what other enclosures folks have in their ride.
the fat kid 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2009 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged  
then go sealed and do a 2 1.5 to 2 cu. box ive heard plenty of cars with sealed 12s that are loud enough for most ppl, mtx7500s, jlw3s in particular. if it were me id go sealed and dynamat the doodie outta your trunk area.
armymp90099 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2009 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
ok i think its def your box thats making them sound like `doodie`. lol i have 2 15 in type r`s and i had them in a sealed box at first. sounded like crap. they are now in seperate 2.9 cuft boxes (ported) tuned to 32hz and the difference was night and day. i know you want to keep some trunk space so do the best you can but imo they r`s really shine in a ported or vented enclosure. (sorry for the poor grammar im on my cell phone. lol)
-ETS-
Escape The Scilence
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic