< Prev Topic Next Topic >
icearrow6 
Copper - Posts: 497
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2009 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:
I would divide it up then.
^^ PRO ^^
poor output from subbox with pictures - Page 3 -- posted image.
eric21 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2009 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  
icearrow6 wrote:
[QUOTE=eric21]
"I'm running two clarion 1550watt amps, so should I divide the box in half and reconfigure the port?"
.... I found the problem?
I think u are running these speakers in STEREO, on a single chamber....
You have the left channel split to one amp, and right channel split onto the second amp? If you want to get ALL the woofers to work in unison you need to run the as MONO. Take one of the RCA's preouts from the deck and split it. you'll drop a little in voltage, but you'll get MONO on BOTH amps. Try this before you go and make another box altogether... Bracing the box though is a given.
Thanks for the detailed response, I wish thats what it was though. I previously had 4 sealed 15" woofers off of the same two mono block amps and they slammed really well with the exact wiring configuration. I was just thinking a properly tuned ported box should outpreform a sealed box thats why I went with this box. I don't mind building another box, I just wanna get it right this time. I'm gonna divide up the chambers for sure, but just need to figure out the ports. Thanks for all the responses so far!!
eric21 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2009 at 7:35 AM / IP Logged  
Ok here's an update - since i'm gonna build a new box anyway, I made a port insert that had an opening of 12"x4.5" and 10" long and put that in the old port hole. The difference was huge, the speakers kept in control much better, the voice coils didn't stink as easily and the output was alot louder.
Then after I added some wood to the inside of the box to lessen the volume and that helped too by seeming to make them sound more musical over a larger frequency range.
Still one thing I noticed is that the 2 outtermost subs seem to be moving more then the inner 2 subs, so i'm guessing there is some big pressure differences in the box because of the position on the port.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2009 at 7:59 AM / IP Logged  
Besides the bracing issue, I am almost wondering if you are having unequal loading issues.
With a box that large I dont like to have a "center" port.   I typically use a narrow but very wide port...I.E 2.5x36xport length.
I have had much better results with that, and if the port is from 1 wall to another also add some bracing in itself.
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
eric21 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2009 at 7:21 AM / IP Logged  

jeffchilcott wrote:
Besides the bracing issue, I am almost wondering if you are having unequal loading issues.
With a box that large I dont like to have a "center" port.   I typically use a narrow but very wide port...I.E 2.5x36xport length.
I have had much better results with that, and if the port is from 1 wall to another also add some bracing in itself.

Thanks Jeff, I learned quite a bit from the build screw up. I've decided to do 2 chambers with the subs in a straight line along the bottom of the box with a 6" areoport centered above each pair of woofers and add some bracing. Does that sound like it should work alittle better?

Once I get my ports in the mail I show my build, hopefully this one doesn't suck as much.

eric21 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2009 at 7:44 AM / IP Logged  

Ok, I re-built my box and I gotta say what a difference. The new spec's are 2.1 cu.ft. per woofer, 2 seperate chambers with half dividers in between each woofer for bracing/loading. Each chamber has 1 - 6" areoport 10" long and I used a double baffle this time. It's pretty intense from 30-45 hertz. Thanks for all the advise.

blackcivichatch 
Copper - Posts: 229
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2009 at 7:48 AM / IP Logged  

Looks good man. Where did you get the ports at?

UNLABELED Custom Car Club President
eric21 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2009 at 7:55 AM / IP Logged  
blackcivichatch wrote:

Looks good man. Where did you get the ports at?

I got them at precision sound products ( http://www.psp-inc.com/). They are pretty nice quality but cost $40 a port, I think it was worth it though.

boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2009 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
 Looks good....how does it sound?
eric21 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2009 at 9:09 AM / IP Logged  

boogeyman wrote:
 Looks good....how does it sound?

Thanks man, well I went from 4 - sealed 15" woofers in the crew cab of my pickup to the 4 - 12" ported and it sounds louder to the ear but i'm sure the spl isn't as high. The low end bass from these woofers in this box is really surprising (sub 40 hertz) and sounds good on most music. They really lack though on 55 hertz and up though, but overall i'm pretty happy with the results. They can hurt my ears pretty good and the bass really messes with my vision when driving so i'm assuming its pretty loud.

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic