icon

new system, novice installer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dertitan2 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2009 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  

Please be kind, this is my first post, I am very new to audio installation, and this site has been a huge help!

Here is the system I have planned, I would like some feeback.

Pontiac 2009 Vibe 1.8L, Stock Head Unit with XM, JL Audio Cleansweep, JL 12W6v2 Sub in Sealed Power Wedge JL Box, Alpine PDX 1.600 for Sub, Alpine PDS 4.100 for Fronts, Alpine SPX-13 Pro Components, Dynamat Extreme for front two doors, rear door speakers will remain stock and connected to head unit, using twisted pair RCA cables, and 12 guage wire for speakers connections.

I am looking for a Sound Quanlity system, so any recommendations on plan, installation, changes, etc.. would be appreciated.

icearrow6 
Copper - Posts: 497
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2009 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  
When you are investing that much into the car, why not a GOOD headunit? If you want to keep the stock HU, then you are going to have to use a line-out converter...so for a name brand line out....spend the extra bucks and replace that headunit. You will not regret it, if its sound Quality you are after.
blackcivichatch 
Copper - Posts: 229
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2009 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with Icearrow. Adding an after market HU would be wise. You would can get more features and more control of all that expensive equipment you're throwing in there.
UNLABELED Custom Car Club President
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 04, 2009 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  
factory units are usually the weakest link to a good sounding system
Custom Enclosure Design
dertitan2 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2009 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged  

First, thank you all for your comments.

The reason my plan included the retention of the factory head unit was cost - I can purchase a JL Cleansweep for $199.99 from an authorized dealer, if I go a new head unit route, it will be the cost of a good head unit, plus the GM adapter for the onstar/alerts etc..and $$ for the XM tuner...I felt that if the cleansweep does what I have read it does, I could save $$ and push more of that to the speakers, amps etc... 

However, after much consideration of your comments, I begun relooking at head units...What are your thoughts on the following units:

Alpine CDA-9887 with Imprint

Kenwood KDC-693

Eclipse CD7200 MKii

Pioneer DEH-P800PRS

Of these four heads units, the Kenwood is the cheapest and has 24 Bit DAC, I am leaning toward the Alpine, but I am a little concerned about the imprint technology, but I have stumbled across a few forums with some tips on how to make this function correctly.  The Pioneer and Eclipse are on the higher end of the cost column.

As regards to head unit functionality, I am not interested in navigation, DVD, or blue tooth...I just want CD, XM, and Ipod along with top sound quality.

blackcivichatch 
Copper - Posts: 229
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2009 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  
The Alpine Is the only one on that list that i have experience with, and it is completely amazing. And with the Imprint technology, the sound quality is going to be superb. i Highly recommend the Alpine Headunit.
UNLABELED Custom Car Club President
icearrow6 
Copper - Posts: 497
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2009 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  
Alpine A+
There are lots of models that have cd/mp3 with SAT radio ready. As long as its Alpine/pioneer/eclipse. If price is your concern, get a cheaper brand name unit. I'd hate for you to have spend so much on the equipment already and not have satisfying results.
We're NOT saying you CAN'T get good sound quality with the cleansweep and stock headunit, we're saying that to achieve the best your equipment can perform, you need a better sound source. replacing that stock unit is the only choice.
Your system is only as strong as the weakest component.
hot rodder 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2009 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  

With the better HU you can have 6 pre outs that will pump into your Alpine amps quite nicely. Shop around for the best price and you might pay just as much for the above mentioned HU's as you would for that stock HU runa aound. I recently built a system in an old Chevy Caprice using the newest Pioneer 510 HU and the same Alpine amps into Type R speakers and subs. Incredible sound and the Pioneer EL display is nice. The Alpine amps don't generate that much heat and look great too.

-Scott

boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2009 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  
never had that eclipse so i cannot comment on.........never had the kenwood so i cannot comment on
I personally think the DEH-P880PRS or DEH-P800PRS headunits are better than the comparable Alpine units (9986/9887 etc) for several reasons:
- You get everything you need for auto eq/ta with the Pioneers. The processor is built-in and they also supply the microphone. Nothing else to buy.
- You can see what adjustments were made. The Pioneer HUs allow you to look at the crossover frequencies, slopes, levels, etc. so its a great way to learn because you can see what the auto eq thinks is best. Alpine saves their stuff in a proprietary format so you don't know what the values are.
- You can manually tweak the settings after auto eq/ta and even A/B the manual settings vs the auto eq settings. The auto eq/ta gets you 90% there and you can fine tune as you wish and compare the manual vs auto settings. Alpine has 2 options, fully manual or fully auto. If you go manual you had better know what you are doing.
- Better EQ. On the Pioneer HUs, after auto eq/ta, you can then create your own custom EQ on top of eveything else with 16 bands per channel. This is great for further fine tuning on top of the auto eq and ta. Alpine has nothing that is even close to this amount of flexibility. ......Alpine DOES have the best ipod interface bar none
dertitan2 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2009 at 7:51 AM / IP Logged  

To all of you who took time to give me some feedback, I am very appreciative.

I am more confused now that when I started, but that is OK, it is a good confusion, it means I am still thinking.

Once I get this thing put together, I will post some pics.

Thanks Again!!!!

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic