icon

rs system with a twist

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
01trublugt 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2009 at 8:43 AM / IP Logged  

I am looking for some help picking out an alarm/RS combo.

03 Ford Explorer, currently has the OEM alarm installed(horn honks if door is opened type). Also not sure if it makes a difference but I have seen it talked about here so I will mention it. The keyless on the truck will work when the car is running, I can lock and unlock from the fob while driving.

I have a few requirements

I would like remote start, but do not need 1 mile range, ect. 500-1000 feet is all that I need.

No overly large key fob, would like to stay as close to the Ford fob size as possible.

I have the key pad on the door that I would very much like to keep as part of the system. Sometimes I am outside and need to get into the truck so the key pad makes it possible without having to run inside for the keys, I would very much like to retain that aspect.

I want to keep the progressive unlock where the drivers door only unlocks on the first press and all other doors unlock on the second press.

Additional outputs are not a necessity however I would take the window vent option if I could if not then Lock, Unlock, Start, and Rear window release(trunk opening) is all I need.

Would like something that is timmed run, so if I start it and take longer than I thought to get out there it will shut itself off after like 10 or 15 min.

tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2009 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged  
Are you installing it...? What type of bypass are you considering...sacrificing a key(556U-universal ring bypass)...or NKR(no key required-FLTB1)...? We sell alot of Code products...Good product...Good range...Good price...Pretty easy wording in install manual...Ultra Start is an Install friendly unit...and not bad quality...! Most of what your looking for is common features with Remote Starts...The keypad should remain functional...On some fords the factory keyless does not work while remote started...Not sure if this applies to the keypad...Test it out...Start the truck and see if you can unlock with truck running...Otherwise it should work like it always did...! The timed feature is pretty much standard...Just specifically look for the progressive unlock...Although that is pretty much standard too...I think the CA-611 is a good fit for you...Probably what i would sell you if you walked into the shop...!
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
01trublugt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2009 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  

Yes I will be installing it myself.

As for the key pad on the door. If the truck is running I can get out and hit the bottom two buttons and the truck will lock, then I can key in the code and unlock it, so the key pad remains functional while the engine is running.

As far as bypass, I have 2 keys for the truck so I could program a third and use that or I could go with the NKR system. My decision here would probably be based on most cost effective method. I am not going to sacrifice one of my functional keys so buying a new one would be a must if I went with the 556U correct?

My concerne with the exterior key pad is this. If I get out of the truck and arm it with the alarm, then later on I am outside and use the key pad to unlock the truck and open the door won't the alarm be triggered? Is there any way that unlocking the door with the exterior key pad will also dis arm the alarm?

Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2009 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  

You are correct in your thinking, the keypad would be lost. There is a way to do this but it is a little complicated. You could use separate units, one an alarm upgrade that works directly off your factory remote. This will allow the keypad to work the alarm as arm and disarm are controlled from lock motor pulses. When the motor sees a lock pulse it arms, when the drivers motor sees an unlock pulse it turns off the alarm. Next you can get a RS upgrade that again works off the factory remote. You first need to make sure the range on your factory remote is good enough for you. Can you lock your doors from in your house or from whereever you will want to use it? If so your good to go. I have done this and it's a bit more work but i have had some dealers that insist on using the factory remote and this is the only way.

Pursuit makes both units, the alarm is a PRO 9232N and the RS is a PRO 9075N. As for bypass, totally up to you. The cheapest way is to buy  a key on Ebay, have Ace hardware cut it(it's free) and program yourself. A key box is cheap...

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2009 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  
Yes...You could actually do a blank,uncut key(program it yourself)...You could do the "homemade" bypass...And save a little more money...Although the 556u is pretty cheap...And the "homemade bypass" might be frustrating doing it for the first time...Ive never done anything with the keypad disarming aftermarket security...Remember that if you are going to get a 3rd key cut and programmed...then purchase the 556u...Your pretty much going to be about the same money as the NKR...The NKR will save you your time though(going and getting another key cut)...! Its a pretty easy install...! We sometimes get keys from Howard keys...Pretty cheap...Good Luck...If i missed something ill check your response...
M.E.C.P & First-Class
01trublugt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2009 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  

It seems that the easiest way is to go the NKR route.

That out of the way it seems that the next easiest thing to do is just to keep the factory alarm and just add a remote start system that works off of the OEM remote.

I tried to Google the PRO 9232N and the PRO 9075N but my Google fu must be weak today.

Also I know Code Alarm has the CA411 which is an add on RS that uses the OEM fob.

mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2009 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  
I actually have  a brand  new ca411 just sitting here. I'd be willing to sell it cheap if you want it. Just remember, when you go this route, your range is going to limited compared to using an aftermarket system, hence the reason I still have this 411.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2009 at 6:53 AM / IP Logged  
The Code Alarm and the Pursuit PRO 9075N are probably the same product as both are made by Audiovox....
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 17, 2009 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
The 9075 for whatever reason doesn't have the Pursuit "pro" designation on the model number, so that's why you're not finding it.
If you're happy with your factory alarm, you like the keypad on the door, and the driver's-priority unlocking....I'd keep the factory keyless/remotes and just add remote start.
Step 1: Try to operate your factory keyless from inside your home, work, or wherever you want to remote start the car. If it works from there, you're all set!
Just add remote start to the factory remotes, and you'll be fine. Remember you'll have no remote start at the supermarket, movie theater, friend's condominium, et cetera.
Search for the following: AS-9075 (older but works fine, MUST connect tach wire) AS-9076 (has voltage-sensing mode, otherwise the same) AS-9076T (can add CarLink CL100 module to start car by telephone)
On the other hand, if the range of the factory keyless isn't good enough for you, but you want to keep the other factory features, consider a one-button remote-start-only: AS-9050, AS-9051, APS-901, PRO-9056, et cetera.
P.S. There's an AS-9075 on eBay right now, refurbished I think.
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2009 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged  
Here is the key wrap diagram...Just in case...! http://documents.audiovox.com/700665.pdf
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic