icon

'02 ford explorer, viper 160xvl rs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
m3mark558 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2009 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  
And I connected the antenna ring and put it around the ignition key area.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 05, 2009 at 8:48 AM / IP Logged  
If you can hear the 556S click on during remote start, and then click off at remote start shutdown, you probably have it connected properly. Put it close to your ear (or put your hand on it) to detect the internal relay clicking.
Ring placement is fussy on Fords. (On Toyotas and Hondas as well.)
You'll see that the ring that comes with the unit is quite large, and the ignition key cylinder on your truck is quite small.
When you pop off that rubber piece around the ignition switch, you'll see the silver part where you put the key, and then just a little behind the silver part is a black plastic ring...see it?
You have to "pinch" the beginning part of the ring (close to where it meets the wire that goes to the 556S) and make the ring become the same size as that black part.
Depending on what you have available, use either a small zip tie or electrical tape to tie the ring where you pinched it with your finger, so it stays that size forever.
P.S. I've never used a 556S, but I believe it's nothing more than a 556U with a blank Ford key inside it.
Feel free to unscrew it and take it apart if you're curious.
Maybe you're getting a little frustrated because A, you don't know if you have it installed right, and B, you don't know if you've programmed it right.
You could separate those two issues and tackle them one at a time....if you take that key out of the box.
You could:
A: temporarily put one of your existing good keys into the 556S, play around with ring placement until you get it to work, and then put the blank key back in and work on programming.
---OR---
B: Take that blank key out of the box, and do your programming without the box: First good key on and off.....second good key on and off.....blank key IN IGNITION, and remote start. Now your key is programmed...put the 556S all back together with that blank key, and play with ring placement.
m3mark558 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2009 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
Wow, thank you for the great info! That makes it seem much simpler. I will try that tomorrow. Thanks again!
m3mark558 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2009 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  
Wow, that was easy! Thanks!
What do I do to get the heated seats to turn on?
m3mark558 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2009 at 6:02 PM / IP Logged  
The remote start has been working fine for quite a while now. Thank you all for your help.
It does, however, not remote start if the car is warm. If the car is cold, it remote starts fine. But if I've driven it and then shut it off and try to remote start it again in an hour or less, it tries but then shuts right off. Is it a tach issue? I'm using one of the wires at the ignition coil and it's learned.
Tonight it did the same thing and kept trying to start until the battery was dead. Any ideas?
Page of 4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic