icon

hifonics amp problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
armymp90099 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2009 at 4:22 PM / IP Logged  
Ok guys I have a problem with my friends hifonics amp and Im totally lost. This is a BXi 1610D and we had it hooked up to 2 12 pioneer premiers wired to 1 ohm. We had it running solid for about 30 min and no problems at all. It wasnt hot at all. All the sudden it stopped working. When we went back to look at it the power indicator light ws flickering. We turned it of and redid all the conections. When we turned it back on the power indicator flashes then fades. We checked all fuses and everything is good. We then put a mulitmeter on the terminals and the remote was getting a solid 14 Volts. We then tested the main power and got 8.23 volts. We disconnected the wires and tested them seperatley and they were getting 14 solid volts... So it seems like there is a voltage drop at the terminals on the amp? Someone please help and I hope its not a blown amp... Thanks guys
-ETS-
Escape The Scilence
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2009 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  
check the fuse, it might only be partially blown so it will still give you voltage but there is a bad connection inside the fuse itself.  it might not look blown but it is bad.
armymp90099 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2009 at 5:27 PM / IP Logged  
ok that makes sense because they didnt look blown but they did look odd. so i called my friend and im gonna have him replace them and see what happens thanks mannn. if that doesnt work then what would you suggest?
-ETS-
Escape The Scilence
boxhead78 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2009 at 12:51 AM / IP Logged  
if you have a glass fuse going to the battery and the glass is cracked that will happen
boxead78
armymp90099 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2009 at 12:56 AM / IP Logged  
No its actually an ANL fuse and its good we checked it but thanks man,
-ETS-
Escape The Scilence
armymp90099 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2009 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  
Ok guys my buddy just replaced the fuses and no luck. The illumination works but the green power indicator flashes then fades out. Any other ideas? This is the third hifonics amp Ive personally see fail in 6 months. All different owners and models. The only thing they had in common is that they were all pushing pioneer premiers.
-ETS-
Escape The Scilence
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,669
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 17, 2009 at 7:28 AM / IP Logged  
If the voltage was dropping to 8, and the amp was not getting hot after a minute or 2 of this 8 volt session, there is a bad connection in the power or ground path to the amp.  If it is getting warm, or hot after a minute, your amp is pulling tons of current and is broken. 
armymp90099 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2009 at 8:15 AM / IP Logged  
No we had it hooked up for a while and it never got hot so Im still lost. lol Maybe the input channel is blown or damaged?
-ETS-
Escape The Scilence
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 17, 2009 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  

i am an idiot wrote:
If the voltage was dropping to 8, and the amp was not getting hot after a minute or 2 of this 8 volt session, there is a bad connection in the power or ground path to the amp.  If it is getting warm, or hot after a minute, your amp is pulling tons of current and is broken. 

As our idiot friend has stated: If all is well in the power AND GROUND (very important here... ground) path, your amp is toast.

soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2009 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  

unhook the power from the amp and test the power wire while it isn't hooked to anything and use a different ground than your amp's ground. if you get between 12- 14 volts then your power wire is ok.

now do the same thing except use your amp's ground. if you get 8 volts then you definitely need to re ground your amp to bare metal with no paint or primer on it.  if you get the same reading as what you got in step 1 then you still could have a ground issue so i would make sure your ground wire has a solid connection with bare metal and it is tight to the point when it wont move.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic