changed head unit, alternator whine

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
supremesoul 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2009 at 12:52 AM / IP Logged  
OMG PLEASE HELP ME!!!
i have a custom pontiac sunfire (yes girls car i know but i got it for a AMAZING PRICE)
this WAS NOT there b4.
i have changed the head unit on it. EVERYTHING ELSE IS THE SAME.
and now i constantly get engine noise or alternator whine.
eathier way i can hear a whine rise in pitch from the speakers when i acceclerate. ITS SO ANNOYING PLEASE OH PLEASE solve my problem.
i already have spent many hours trying to repair the problem and it only seems to stay the same or get worse.(possibly because i start to get so used to it then i think its repaired and its really not changed at all)
--Ozz
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2009 at 1:46 AM / IP Logged  
What type oh head unit?
changed head unit, alternator whine -- posted image.
supremesoul 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2009 at 1:51 AM / IP Logged  
j.reed wrote:
What type oh head unit?
It is a JVC kd-avx44
--Ozz
j.reed 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2009 at 1:56 AM / IP Logged  
Is this happening to RCA fed items? or are you running just from head unit to the speakers? If its on the RCA side of things try grounding the shield of the RCA's to the decks case. If it is to speakers running off the deck. Relocate the ground wire to a surface you know is good rather than the factory location which isnt always the best spot for them.
supremesoul 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2009 at 1:58 AM / IP Logged  
Im a totall newbie when it comes to this. i know it goes from rca's outta the deck to the amps then to 12 interior speakers. and 3 subs..but recently my sub amp blew...so i gatta get a new one.
still the whine is damn annoying
also from the deck to the rca's there is ground loop icolators under the carpet. is it possible all thoes blew?
--Ozz
j.reed 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2009 at 2:08 AM / IP Logged  
Try both of the fixes I have just mentioned. They are the most common ways to fix a ground loop. If you still have the problem then we can cross this off the list and start looking at others.
This is a link to show how to ground the RCAs to the deck.
http://bcae1.com/images/rca/temporaryrcashieldrepair.html
supremesoul 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2009 at 2:27 AM / IP Logged  
ill try the rca's to the deck. see what happens.
the main problem is that i can do all i want in a garage. but when i get moving on the road its almost totally different.
how ever i have regrounded the decks ground to a rear seat seatbelt bolt. it fixed it for what seemed a small bit...but then it almost instantly came back one day down the road.
thanks for the link with photos :D
http://bcae1.com/images/rca/temporaryrcashieldrepair.html
--Ozz
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2009 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  
The seatbelt bolt is a VERY bad place to ground. Clean a spot on the chassis or a LARGE portion of sheetmetal, and ground to that, using a starwasher. Never, EVER use a seatbelt bolt for any ground purposes! The come loose, and are generally filled with weather-proofing "goo", preventing good, low resistance connections! They might work for a little while, but as you now know, they won't always work perfectly or forever.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
joch1314 
Copper - Posts: 301
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2009 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
+ 1 with Haemphyst.  Seatbelt bolts, in most cases are easier to get too, but NOT good ground points.  You said you grounded the DECK to a seat belt bolt.  Why go so far with the decks ground?  There should be metal behind the deck that you can use as a ground...even behind the glove box.   
...half of the truth can be worse than a lie. <----Roger Russell said that..
supremesoul 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2009 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  
well i inticaily had it to the ground the old deck was using. that worked for a little bit but then somehting happened.
fyi i have been living with this sound for over 5 months now. i have a new born son and dont have much time to look at my car :S
as for replacing it to the seat bolt, it was the easiest choice at the time. i had a nice long wire a "o" washer that was clipped open to a "c" to fit over the bolt. it worked for about a week or so then it came back.
ill try the options you gyes have given me this weekend.
AND THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP SO FAR. im grateful.
--Ozz
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic