icon

06 silverado dead battery issue

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 03, 2009 at 6:09 AM / IP Logged  
Charge the battery fully and go to Autozone and have them perform a load test on the battery.  
If there is a starter kill relay on the system, where is the relay coil getting power from?  Or try disconnecting 85 or 86 of the relay to eliminate that possibility from the equation.
jim hunter 
Silver - Posts: 351
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2009 at 8:58 AM / IP Logged  
i would have your buddy temporarily disconnect the remote start,what type of dei bypass did he switch to? if its an express kit thru data i would have him disconnectthat and hook up old passlock bypass, quite possibly the bypass is keeping bcm awake which willkill battery quick,
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Posted: November 03, 2009 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  
i would disconnect the starter and bypass and try this for a few days.... i had a customer with exactly the same issues on a 05 back in 06 that we installed a starter on... we disconnected everything and the problem was still there.... turned out one of his heated mirrors was staying on and draining the battery.... nothing to do with my install but 2 different dealers told him "it must be the starter".......
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
hatchetman337 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2009 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
What was it that was causing a mirrors to stay on? 
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Posted: November 03, 2009 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  

no idea... something in the mirror i think.... but i had to disconnect the starter and bypass to "prove" to them that it wasnt the starter causing the problem....strange thing was this problem supposedly occured right after having the starter installed... at first i thought it might have been the bypass module, but the module i used didnt do heated mirrors or seats, just locks and passlock.....

whatever it was was something they covered under warranty.....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
yimke 
Copper - Posts: 417
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2009 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  
kgerry wrote:
i would disconnect the starter and bypass and try this for a few days.... i had a customer with exactly the same issues on a 05 back in 06 that we installed a starter on... we disconnected everything and the problem was still there.... turned out one of his heated mirrors was staying on and draining the battery.... nothing to do with my install but 2 different dealers told him "it must be the starter".......
That sounds like every dealership response I get. I HAS to be the REMOTE START!. I laugh then tell them "we'll see." I swear it is like AIDS to dealerships, all of them don't want to touch it.
biglimpdog 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2009 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
did you ever figure out the problem?
bloke 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2009 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  

Yes, this is a curious problem.  Please post a follow-up.  Inquiring minds want to know.

2004 Colorado - Needs remote start.
hatchetman337 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2009 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for checking in.  Here's basically what's happened since my last post:

- Tried an experiment by not using the remote start for a while.  It went well for a week or so then, BLAMMO, dead battery again.  It happened about 2 days in a row.

- I did some investigating because I was getting desparate.  I have a hi4 kit installed on my truck (just a relay that keeps the low beams on when the highs come on) and it wasn't working properly as of late.  I found that one of the connections had become a little corroded, so I replaced it and it worked fine.  Went a few days without problems, then went dead again....

- For some reason, my fog lamp switch sticks a little.  Though I've gotten very good at pushing it in so that it doesn't stick, I was thinking that for some odd reason maybe it was drawing on the battery sometimes, so I replaced it.  It hasn't gone dead since then, but it seems less likely to be the cause compared to...

- I put a load tester on my battery and checked it out.  It would sit at 12V, but when I applied a load, it would immediately drop to 10V and then slowly keep dropping.  I compared this to a known good battery, which only dropped to 11V and stayed there.  I also kept the load tester hooked up and used the remote starter.  When the starter engaged, the voltage dropped to 8V or less!!  I contacted the place I got my battery from and had it replaced under warranty.  It hasn't gone dead since (it's been about 2 weeks) and I've been using the starter right along.

Now here's the weird thing.  As I mentioned earlier in the post, I replaced the battery after this had already happened a couple times, so either my old battery was bad AND the new one was bad, or maybe there WAS actually some kind of problem with the remote starter and it's been fixed, but the battery was bad also.  I don't know and probably never will.  In fact, I'm not 100% sure that it is truly fixed since it's only been a couple weeks.  We'll see.

Another weird thing I noticed was that, when I put the replacement new battery in a couple weeks ago and began driving it, the voltage was not as high as it should have been.  It was only about 13V, but then I parked it for about 10 minutes and drove it again and it was then over 14V and slowly dropped down to 13V.  I got home, put it on a slow charger for several hours, and haven't noticed that problem again since (and believe me, I've been looking).  Not sure what to think about that.  I was worried my alternator had s*&t the bed, but it hasn't happened again.

biglimpdog 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2009 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  

wow, sounds like my journey!

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic