icon

remote start/keyless entry, 2007 sierra

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chevz7194 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2009 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  
I am installing a Compustar p2w900fm-s on my 2007 Sierra 2500 (New Body Style) (Gas) I have also purchased a DEI DOOR LOCK & ALARM INTERFACE XK01 - 1700G1. Is there any other bypass or hardware that i will need to get this thing installed? If there are any tips for the installation I would appreciate it. Thanks
metz35 
Copper - Posts: 458
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2009 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  
yes u need a bypass
chevz7194 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2009 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  
So would either one of these work? Do I still need to use the DEI DOOR LOCK & ALARM INTERFACE XK01 - 1700G?
Combo GM Passlock (ALL) + Universal Transponder Bypasskit (PLJX-UTI) or
GM-LAN PASS-Key III Plus Override (transponder & resistor) (PKUGM2X)
chevz7194 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2009 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  
What about using the XK06 to?
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 01, 2009 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  
XK01 does only the doorlocks.
XK06 had an issue with killing batteries, I think they took away the firmware to use the XK06 on GMs....not totally sure.
ADS (www.idatalink.com) makes some nice pieces that do locks and transponder all in one, and even give you door, hood, and tach outputs. And they even have a special cable that plugs right into the Compustar units.
But, if you already have the XK01 and want to use it, go ahead and use it for the doorlocks.
For the transponder key, probably the most cost effective way would be just to get an ordinary key-in-the-box style universal bypass (DEI 556U, Audiovox AS-TCBM, Trilogix TBKIII),
and then get a blank, uncut aftermarket transponder key and put it in the box. (I forget the part number for the key, but try www.howardkeys.com or look on eBay.) You're looking for what they call a Circle Plus key, because of the little symbol stamped onto the metal shaft of the key.
Programming the blank key to the car is simple, and doesn't require a dealer scan tool.....take a look in the truck's owner's manual.
But you basically just do this:
1. Perform your install, using one your existing factory keys in the bypass box. Verify that EVERYTHING works properly, then remove your original key from the box.
2. Put the aftermarket key in the box.
3. Using original key, turn ignition on for a few seconds, then turn off.
4. Activate remote starter. Key will program and truck will remote start.
chevz7194 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2009 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  
Im all about simplicity. If that idatalink would be a better unit then I might get one of those. What model should I use for my application?
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 01, 2009 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  
Here are the available products for your truck from their site:
http://www.idatalink.com/search/index/model/4782
Here's a quick rundown of the differences in their modules, so you choose which you want:
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~117364~PN~1
I think you'll probably choose the first one on the list, the ADS-DLSL GM, but I figured you'd want to read that other post and decide for yourself.
Anyway, before you buy, just go to the product there and click on where it says Guides. You can download the install guide and read it for yourself.
I've actually only done two new-style Silverados, but I used the ADS module on both and it worked very well. I liked that it gives door trigger, hood trigger, and even a tach signal.
IMPORTANT NOTE: When you get to that install guide, you'll see a note on the second page, about Install Types 2 and 3.
In short, install type 2 has minimum current draw, but requires buying an additional part.
Install type 3 requires no additional parts, but puts a little bit more draw on the battery, which could become an issue if you leave your truck parked for extended periods.
Do you use your truck nearly every day, or do you sometimes park it for days or weeks at a time?
The installs I did were Type 3 and had no comebacks.
chevz7194 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2009 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  
You are the man. Thanks for the great info. I probly will go with that ADS-DLSL GM. I usually drive it on a regular basis. May sit for a day or two at the most. If i decide to go with Install #2 I take it i will need to buy the transponder bypass ring?
Thanks Again!!
metz35 
Copper - Posts: 458
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2009 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  
you could use a Fortin Can-SL2 also to control everything..either way will work good luck!
beegbie 
Copper - Posts: 341
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2009 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
Does anyone know weather or not the fortin can sl2 has the same 30 milliamp draw that the datalink module has?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic