on cel after remote start, 2002 civic ex

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blu_olr 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2009 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  

Hi all,

Right off the bat, My name is Orin, I'm emergency vehicle technician (electrician) for peel region in Ontario, Canada. Prior to this i was an installer for about 6 years (4 year at best buy, and 2 years at a local stereo shop) So i'm not much of a newbie.

I have a friend at another local audio shop call me regarding a remote starter install on a 2002 Honda EX, Automatic transmission. He is also no newb, he has owned his shop for about 9 years and going strong, and has installed probably 10000s+, so my confidence in his knownledge is very high. He installed a NuStart unit in he sells and installs himself regularly. So basically he installed the unit, along with a fortin honda bypass (ifar.ca) and everything is good, he test it, works fines; customer picks it up, takes it home, and call back the next day regarding a check engine light. My buddy assures him its nothing but still gets it scan for him (at minium) and he clears the code.

the code was:

P1705: Short in Transmission Range Switch Circuit (More than one range position is on at the

same time)

apparently honda claims that aftermarket alarms/starters cause this problem because of us installer tapping into the starter cut relay circuit, I never heard of this ever. In fact my buddy even call a tech line for fortin and NuStart, and the techs all laughed, because it was a honda civic...the easiest and most popular car out there.

If anyone has any info please let me know asap. I searched so many times and i have resorted to this. please help.

Orin R.

bLu
blu_olr 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2009 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  
sorry just re read my post, 2002 Honda Civic EX
bLu
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2009 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like let's blame the last person for the problem. How can a starter circuit, not monitored, not data on for about 0.3 secs affect the transmission? Which probably wouldn't even be active until engine run.
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2009 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  
With howard on this one! I've personally done alot of hondas, especially civics with remote starters, never had an issue, let alone one of that nature. They're just looking for someone to blame!
mobiletint 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2009 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  

Ive seen this code come up on new toyotas if you use a relay tied into a wire to activate for a second start or second accessory. Had the techs going in circles. Long story short, the relay drew on the start wire just enough to trigger the phenomenon. We rewired it to the negative triggers on the starter brain and only drew power from the 12v constant and it finally solved it.

They actually replaced a switch component related to the transmission trying to resolve it. It cost me some money.

Try to wire it differently, because when they take the remote starter out and the problem goes away youll be in for it.

91stt 
Silver - Posts: 564
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 08, 2009 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  
i've heard of this happening but have never experienced it. the recommendation for this is to do the starter kill after the fuse box. it is an odd setup with 2 relays, see diagram.
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/downloads.asp?srch=all&term=2002+civic+starting+circuit
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2009 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  
googled the code and it yield a different scenario.
those tranny are known to be blown out after awhile. quite a few enthusiast add an aftermarket tranny oil filter. look on 7thgencivic.com or honda-tech.com
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic