icon

immobilizer bypass choice, 2008 4runner

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
07sctc 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2009 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  

i am gonna be installing a remote start/keyless entry on my wifes 2008 4runner for christmas.  i will most likely be using a dei 1400xp unit since it is all she needs.  i was a professional installer for 6 years, but i changed careers in 05 and there have been alot of new  bypass units out since then.  i have read many post and havent seen one that leads me to my answer.

i need one that is quick to install and has no issues.  i dont have a bit writer to program a bypass module.  i have considered the dei 556U which i know will work, but i would rather get a unit that doesnt need to have a key, but is just as easy as the 556u.  i have looked at the xk05 but i am not really sure about it.

thanks in advance 

mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2009 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  
Check out the key-overide-all from Fortin. Super easy to install on Toyota. No searching for IMI and IMO wires on the passenger side, as you would with some modules. Everything is done at the steering column. Does not require you to lose a key, and is very reliable.
yimke 
Copper - Posts: 417
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2009 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  
PKALL. No flashing required and no key lost.
07sctc 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2009 at 4:24 AM / IP Logged  

thanks for the help.  i went with the 1400xp and the pkall.  not too bad for less than $100.  imay just use the supplied 451m to control the rear window up/down.

hopefully the only hard part will be installing it under her nose so i can just wrap the key fobs in a box and it will be ready to go xmas morning, haha. 

chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2009 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  
In all honesty, I would have suggested the ADS-TBSL-KO, but the PKALL will work. Both connect at the steering column (as opposed to the XK05's connections at the ECM and inadequately long wiring harness), but in my opinion the ADS-TBSL-KO has the great advantage of being resettable by the installer.
Absolutely, positively, read this tech article from Fortin (the PKALL, despite its Directed Electronics badging, is designed by Fortin) before you start your install.
The situation described happened to me earlier this year, and I didn't have a spare PKALL on hand - and with the programming locked I had to use a 556U to finish and swap the bypass out later.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
07sctc 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2009 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the heads up on programming the pkall, i have the valet key if i need to use it for programming.
robertsc 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2009 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  

My preference for ford and toyota  is the keyoverridesl2.

Easy to install easy to program.

Never had a issue with one piece and have probably put in 100+ .

07sctc 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2009 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
update...
so installed the 1400xp remote starter tonight and am having issues with the pkall.
the vehicle remote starts fine with the key in the ignition in the off position, so all that part is ok.
here is what i have hooked up on the pkall.
12v and gnd in one harness.
RX, TX, and key sense in the other harness.
this is how the manual says to do it, and the third harness is not hooked to anything.
when i go to program, i hold down the button, plug in the first power harness, then plug in the second harness and release the button when the led comes on. i then put the key in the ignition. the led stays on solid and the unit doesnt program.
i have checked the wiring which is what the manual says to do, but it is only the five wires, and they are all right.
any suggestions or should i just get a 556u and be done with it.
i do not have factory disarm hooked up and it shouldnt be needed since the vehicle remote starts with the key in.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2009 at 8:30 AM / IP Logged  

You are trying to program with a black headed key right? I'm not fond of the PKALL but have installed a few, and the gray headed valet key won't work for programming. Tho this won't matter for programming, there are 6 wires that need connecting. You need to connect the blue/white staus wire also.

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2009 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged  
Did you hide the Antenna...You could temporarily tuck it under the dash...headboard...etc...
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic