icon

amp wont turn off

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
calitech247 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2009 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  

Most common cases for this is bad GROUND. Either by the deck ground, amp ground or in the RCA ground connections in the head unit or amp. Very common in pioneer head units to have bad grounds to the RCA ouputs. Running RCAs next to power wires is not the case. Its called a GROUND loop for a reason. Also another common reason is gain level set way too high. Which is why i am an idiot suggested turning the gain all the way down to rule it out.

Use a voltmeter and ensure you are getting good ground at the amp. If thats fine I would look at the ground from the deck. Seeing as you are complaining of this problem from the subs. I am betting you have a less then ideal ground to the amplifier or gain set too high.
What is a proper ground? topic
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~49445~PN~1
How to set gains. topic
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~85479~PN~1

Eliminating noise in any system can be confusing because many things can cause it.   Yes, it can be a BAD GROUND issue or it can be POWERLINE NOISE (conductive coupling).  I'm going by the fact that the noise rises and falls with engine speed as dude said in his first post.  Sorry, im an idiot, but this has nothing to do with input gain adjustment. Improperly MATCHING an input gain with a source unit will cause clipping and distortion. Not noise that rises and falls while accelerating. You can rule this out simply by setting the volume to zero while the car is running and reving the engine. If the noise is still present then it could a bad ground, conductive coupling, or something else. Just trying to help.   

At times, it would be nice to grow an extra pair of hands.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 25, 2009 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  
Wow  An input gain adjustment that can not get rid of engine noise.
calitech247 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2009 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged  
But if it does and I'm wrong my bad.  I just never heard of that. Thats all. 
boxhead78 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2009 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
first you have to take your rca wires and run them on the other side of the car.second thing reconnect your ground 2 inches from the last spot.third thing make sure your remote wire is in the proper spot
boxead78
blackcivichatch 
Copper - Posts: 229
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2009 at 11:59 PM / IP Logged  
boxhead78 wrote:
first you have to take your rca wires and run them on the other side of the car.second thing reconnect your ground 2 inches from the last spot.third thing make sure your remote wire is in the proper spot
...............WUT??
UNLABELED Custom Car Club President
imupabove 
Copper - Posts: 369
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2009 at 11:44 PM / IP Logged  
so sorry for the late reply! so it can the the ground from the headunit right? or the amps ground? im pretty sure the amps ground is find because the other 2 amps i had before this amp im using now was grounded at the same place.
im having trouble find a good place to ground me headunit and EQ :\. should i get like a 10 gauge ground wire and ground it where one of my amps are grounded?
thanks fellas.
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2009 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  
And the plot thickens. An EQ you say?
Running Ground all the way to the back to reach your amps is not the way to go. There is plenty of good grounding to be found right at the dash. 2nd now with this magic EQ that appeared. Im betting i am an idit is right in the money.
amp wont turn off - Page 2 -- posted image.
i am an idiot 
Posted: December 01, 2009 at 7:05 AM / IP Logged  
i think J.Reed wrote:
If you turn the gain all the way down, does the whining go away?
spmpdr 
Copper - Posts: 456
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2009 at 9:52 AM / IP Logged  
just my 2 cents here, if i am an idiot says to try something i would try that, no offense meant other posters but i am an idiot has a proven track record of diagnosing problems. it seems to me that the op is trying everyones advice and not listing all his equipment wich is making things more complicated.to the op : there is no magical way to fix your problem ,its a process of elimination.
-A vision without a plan is just a hallucination-
i am an idiot 
Posted: December 01, 2009 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the vote of confidence spmpdr, I have no idea why some of them have trouble at least trying some of the things I suggest.  It is almost as though they think I am an idiot.   For some reason, a stigma I can not seem to shake. 
Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic